Beautiful Cabinet (phonograph removed)

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Beautiful Cabinet (phonograph removed)

Post by audiophile102 »

I saw this on Facebook Market place and I wondered who could have produced such a beautiful cabinet. It's tragic that the mechanism was removed, but possibly someone could replace it? https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 328132625/
ContactSheet-001.jpg
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Beautiful Cabinet (phonograph removed)

Post by Curt A »

This definitely could be "re-purposed" from a bar into a great phonograph... :roll: There are enough generic motorboards & motors, tonearms, turntables and reproducers around to turn this into a stunning machine... even parts from a trashed Victrola would work, it would be a one of a kind custom Victrola... This was probably some no-name machine, but a beautiful cabinet. If I lived closer to St Louis, I would definitely salvage this... SOMEBODY NEEDS TO SAVE THIS!!!
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

tictalk
Victor II

Post by tictalk »

Thanks for posting audiophile102 ,I just called about it after seeing your post and I am picking it up Saturday.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

I'd swear I've seen that grill or something very much like it posted on here before...

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

tictalk wrote:Thanks for posting audiophile102 ,I just called about it after seeing your post and I am picking it up Saturday.
Glad you're getting it... please post progress on refurbishing it.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

tictalk wrote:Thanks for posting audiophile102 ,I just called about it after seeing your post and I am picking it up Saturday.
It's really great that a forum member is getting it. I sure hope you can reinstall the missing mechanism. My passion has always been restoring antiques. I have an antique house containing my collection of antique furniture, china and phonographs. The quality of the cabinet in the ad was crying out to be saved from serving drinks.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

The wood reminds me of Quilted Mahogany. Martin Guitars used it during the 1920s. Their wood came from Cuba. If it is Quilted Mahogany, like Koa, it tends to have a deep 3D look. Beautiful cabinet. I'm glad that it won't become a liquor cabinet. That is a real work of art.

phonosandradios
Victor II
Personal Text: So many audio formats, so little listening time!

Post by phonosandradios »

Curt A wrote:
Glad you're getting it... please post progress on refurbishing it.
I second that. It will be lovely to see how well it cleans and polishes up and to have workings in it as well will make it a stunning machine. Can't wait to see it.
I am interested in all forms of audio media including: gramophones, phonographs, wire recorders, the tefifon, reel to reel tapes, radiograms and radios.