Is the Victrola sign real?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
LShaped
Victor I
Personal Text: Seeking LShaped Door advertising

Re: Is the Victrola sign real?

Post by LShaped »

Curt A wrote:Apparently there were a number of originals of this sign (at least two), since the replica was an exact copy of an original and it is not the same sign as the OP has pictured...
its exactly the same...not sure what ya mean by "it is not the same sign as OP" this was part of my confusion.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

LShaped wrote:
Curt A wrote:Apparently there were a number of originals of this sign (at least two), since the replica was an exact copy of an original and it is not the same sign as the OP has pictured...
its exactly the same...not sure what ya mean by "it is not the same sign as OP" this was part of my confusion.
What I mean is that even though they are the "same sign" as far as basic content, they are not the "exact same images" - yours is an original and the repro sign on eBay was "copied" from another original - not yours. If you look at your sign and the one on eBay, you can see differences in the defects of the images. For example, the rust patterns on your sign and the bent top corner are different from the patterns on the repro image, meaning that there are at least two different originals - yours and another one somewhere that was copied. I hope this makes sense.... I copied both your image and the one from eBay and marked some of the variations. This does not take away from your sign, since it is an actual original...
Attachments
Victrola Original.png
VictrolaRepro.png
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Also, the original sign is embossed and the eBay version is not.

LShaped
Victor I

Post by LShaped »

Curt A wrote:
LShaped wrote:
What I mean is that even though they are the "same sign" as far as basic content, they are not the "exact same images" - yours is an original and the repro sign on eBay was "copied" from another original - not yours. If you look at your sign and the one on eBay, you can see differences in the defects of the images. For example, the rust patterns on your sign and the bent top corner are different from the patterns on the repro image, meaning that there are at least two different originals - yours and another one somewhere that was copied. I hope this makes sense.... I copied both your image and the one from eBay and marked some of the variations. This does not take away from your sign, since it is an actual original...
ohhhhhhhhhhhhh i gotchya. right on. Well, unfortunately wont be buying that sign as the seller was rather snarky with me for expressing my concerns. And he had me booted from the FB group he was selling it. oh well...wanted top dollar anyway.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Out of curiosity, what was he asking? If you like it, you can always buy the eBay one and save some money... I can't imagine having you kicked off a FB forum just for asking questions... Let him keep it.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

LShaped
Victor I

Post by LShaped »

Curt A wrote:Out of curiosity, what was he asking? If you like it, you can always buy the eBay one and save some money... I can't imagine having you kicked off a FB forum just for asking questions... Let him keep it.
$1000 range. He got incredibly snarky with me when i brought up my concerns...I dont handle snarky well. It got outta hand. funny thing is..I wouldve paid what he was asking once I confirmed it was real. C'est la vie.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Sorry that happened; that's just plain shabby of him.

I don't speak sarcastic either. It's hard to follow and about useless in any kind of conversation. But that's just his loss right there; he's got some neat old signs but if you have something worth a bunch of money it's OK to ask questions about it first! Wish people realized that.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:Sorry that happened; that's just plain shabby of him.

I don't speak sarcastic either. It's hard to follow and about useless in any kind of conversation. But that's just his loss right there; he's got some neat old signs but if you have something worth a bunch of money it's OK to ask questions about it first! Wish people realized that.
Yup, when they want your money, you get to ask questions!

LShaped
Victor I

Post by LShaped »

I mean...$1,000 lotta money by any standard imo. Not sure why he would get all crazy bc i asked some questions/brought up concerns. "Feel free to post any concerns in the group...then when you realize youre worng ill be here for an apology" then continued "i just love you know it alls" ... iwas like WTF? i literally just brought up a concern bc of all the repops i found... oh well. Ill be just fine not giving him my cash.