Need help identifying Columbia model

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
WillysVA
Victor Jr

Need help identifying Columbia model

Post by WillysVA »

I bought this a few years ago. Got some parts from George Vollema at Great Lakes Antique Phonograph and he says its for sure a Columbia, but he didn't know what model. He guessed mid 20s. When I bought it it just said Columbia Queen Anne, which just describes the type of cabinet. I was hoping someone from the group may know model it is. Someone must have thought the data plate looked neat because it has been removed. Thanks for looking.
Attachments
Tone arm.
Tone arm.
Looking down.
Looking down.
This is the front.
This is the front.

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Re: Need help identifying Columbia model

Post by drh »

On consultation of Baumbach's The Columbia Phonograph Companion Vol. 2, the closest thing I see is a Queen Anne (P-20), described as the least expensive in the "period style" collection of machines. Introduced in 1917 for $250; price was raised to $325 in 1920 and then reduced to $275 in 1921. The buyer could knock $15 off the price by taking a spring motor instead of electric. The book says nothing about how many springs. The machine would have had a silk grille cloth, but the book says nothing about color or pattern, if any.

Yours is not an exact match for the picture in the book, but that seems to be the closest one. If it is in fact a P-20 Queen Anne, I'm thinking Columbia must have simplified the cabinet somewhere along the line (perhaps in conjunction with that price reduction in 1921), as the one in the picture has a little more ornamental detail.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

drh wrote:On consultation of Baumbach's The Columbia Phonograph Companion Vol. 2, the closest thing I see is a Queen Anne (P-20), described as the least expensive in the "period style" collection of machines. Introduced in 1917 for $250; price was raised to $325 in 1920 and then reduced to $275 in 1921. The buyer could knock $15 off the price by taking a spring motor instead of electric. The book says nothing about how many springs. The machine would have had a silk grille cloth, but the book says nothing about color or pattern, if any.

Yours is not an exact match for the picture in the book, but that seems to be the closest one. If it is in fact a P-20 Queen Anne, I'm thinking Columbia must have simplified the cabinet somewhere along the line (perhaps in conjunction with that price reduction in 1921), as the one in the picture has a little more ornamental detail.
Didn't they also have a less expensive line of "Semi-Period" models? This particular one may not be in the book.

- Bill

WillysVA
Victor Jr

Post by WillysVA »

Thanks drh and Bill.
I don't see any evidence of "silk" having been over the grill. The cabinet is rather basic and I'm not sure what kind of wood. I understand mahogany was widely used back then. The cabinet has a few rough spots, so I may think of refinishing it sometime. It appears to have had a finish wiped on it once, because I can see a build up around the legs.
When I purchased it, the paperwork said it had a rebuilt motor, I suspect that just indicates a new spring and grease.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Could that be a Harmony Phonograph, manufactured by Columbia?

I'm wondering what the doors of your phonograph look like, because the cabinet is very close to this one:

https://www.ontheblockauction.com/lot/8 ... honograph/

I also see four holes where the missing Harmony name plate would be on your model.

OrthoFan

WillysVA
Victor Jr

Post by WillysVA »

Thanks OrthoFan

I wish they had a photo of the inside showing the tonearm, and controls.
But I think you found it!!

Benjamin_L
Victor III
Personal Text: Honk, honk.

Post by Benjamin_L »

I think this was just a low end Columbia model that's was re-branded for their harmony line.

Here's the same model from an offer-up listing as a Harmony.(https://offerup.com/item/detail/19872997/)
Attachments
offerup.jpg

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Benjamin_L wrote:I think this was just a low end Columbia model that's was re-branded for their harmony line.

Here's the same model from an offer-up listing as a Harmony.(https://offerup.com/item/detail/19872997/)
I think we have a winner!

-Bill

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Lucius1958 wrote:
Benjamin_L wrote:I think this was just a low end Columbia model that's was re-branded for their harmony line.

-Bill
Well, I mentioned it earlier (scroll up), but I'll agree to share the prize. Perhaps you could give each of us a Black Patti record, or a copy of Kansas City Kitty on Blue Amberol or Edison Needle cut? ;)

OrthoFan

Benjamin_L
Victor III
Personal Text: Honk, honk.

Post by Benjamin_L »

OrthoFan wrote:
Lucius1958 wrote:

-Bill
Well, I mentioned it earlier (scroll up), but I'll agree to share the prize. Perhaps you could give each of us a Black Patti record, or a copy of Kansas City Kitty on Blue Amberol or Edison Needle cut? ;)

OrthoFan

Ops, my fault I didn't see your comment before posting :?