Picked up another 11” Regina Disc Music Box

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Picked up another 11” Regina Disc Music Box

Post by Curt A »

Great restoration Rich, you brought it back from the dead, you did a wonderful job. I have always liked these small Reginas, but never found a complete one...

Several years ago (2014), I found an 11" mechanism only in a cardboard box. It had some discs with it and was missing the original crank, so I wracked my brain and decided to fabricate an upright cabinet for it, since finding an original cabinet without the mechanism seemed impossible. I used some quarter sawn wood I had in the garage, along with an unknown phonograph crank and an antique clock dial and put together a working music box. The celluloid tags were missing, so I made them, along with "On-Off" linkage to a knob on the right side which allows it to be started or stopped without unlocking and opening the front door... So mine's not totally original, but it's a one of a kind.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at 1.24.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at 1.25.46 PM.png
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

rgordon939
Victor V

Post by rgordon939 »

Looks great Curt:

Rich Gordon

Kent in KC
Victor II

Post by Kent in KC »

IMG_9789.JPG
Seeing Curt's post I wanted to share this - I collect double-dial calendar clocks so was immediately drawn to this model. Here's a pic of my coin-op 11" Regina restored by Walt Chalfens (not sure that's correct spelling). He and his son used to set up just inside the main entrance at Union. My first music box - traded 11 phonographs - mostly inside horn table models - to him for this one many, many years ago. His son, Dan had a website where he bought and sold phonographs so it worked for both of us.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

That is great machine, I wasn't aware that they made uprights in 11", I thought they were 12" with or without gum dispensers. I had a 12" case but no works and was told that 12" machines were impossible to find, so I sold it and made this 11" case.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife