Why so much for this VV-VIII?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
emerson
Victor III

Re: Why so much for this VV-VIII?

Post by emerson »

I have a female crank oak 8 and a male crank ---really DARK DARK brown oak 8, never can tell if the price could just be a fluke.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

It looks like four bidders were after the same machine. They may have been caught up in the moment. All that you need for a high selling price is to have two people that don't think that they can live without that one thing.

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

That is a nice example of an early VIII, possibly the first version, so that may be the reason for the high price. I once had a first style VV-IX and this machine exhibits similar characteristics. I'm sitting at the dr. Office, so I can't check the Victor Data book.

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

There is another VV-VIII on eBay, it is one like mine, it is the one with the F designation, from the mid-teens. This one has 14 bids with 6 hours remaining, the price is at 93.00.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3790360433

Maybe the VV-VIII is becoming a highly desirable machine.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

The VIII is not as common as the IX or XI, but it does show up. Someone had one at Wayne a few years ago for $300, and I thought that was quite high, especially since it had been polyurethane coated. I saw one needing work at Brimfield last year for $140. They wouldn't take my $100 counteroffer, so I passed.

To me it's a nice machine, but not essential.

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

52089 wrote:The VIII is not as common as the IX or XI, but it does show up. Someone had one at Wayne a few years ago for $300, and I thought that was quite high, especially since it had been polyurethane coated. I saw one needing work at Brimfield last year for $140. They wouldn't take my $100 counteroffer, so I passed.

To me it's a nice machine, but not essential.
I am starting to think in my downsizing that I should have kept the VV 1-70 that sold for 275.00 and sold the VV-VIII.

Retrograde
Victor III

Post by Retrograde »

Based on what Ive read over the past 20 years on these phonograph forums... if I'm selling it's worth a lot, but if I'm buying it should be a bargain.

Machine prices have always been all over the place.

:roll:

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Actually the price is not out of line. This is an early machine, circa 1912, by the S/N. These were sold in few numbers. This is a nice, all original machine. It has many features of outside horn machines. While not a bargain, still worth the price.
Harvey Kravitz

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

Like Victrolacollector, I guess I just don't get it. The VV VIII is OK, but it is pretty unremarkable. For a newbee who has never owned a vintage phonograph, maybe it is worth the consideration, but for me, it's just another run of the mill machine. If you must own a machine of this ilk, might I suggest acquiring an HMV table-top machine of the mid to late 1920s equipped with #4 soundbox, swan-neck tone arm and longer horn. I've included a photos of the HMV 103. Either the HMV 103 or its larger, more desirable siblings dramatically outperform the lowly VV VIII which I have also owned. Your ears can tell the difference.
Attachments
IMG_0281.JPG
IMG_1947.JPG
Best regards ... AZ*

tofinal-4
Victor Jr

Post by tofinal-4 »

I purchased a VV VIII C Victor Victrola with a beautiful cabinet but Needs a spring it has two barrels, and i can't find anything that tells me how to open them, also it needs a female end crank. Any help would be appreciated.