First time owner come a cropper (HMV 99)

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
DancingPriest
Victor Jr

Re: First time owner come a cropper (HMV 99)

Post by DancingPriest »

Thanks again guys,

Here are a few photo's I took.
Attachments
P1000400.JPG
P1000398.JPG
P1000397.JPG
P1000396.JPG
P1000393.JPG
P1000402.JPG

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

I thought you stated that the crank initially didn't want to stay stopped after you wound it, but that it finally grabbed and did not spin backwards. However, if it did back-spin, that would explain the distorted condition of the innermost end of the spring. That end, being peeled open as it is, would not allow the winding shaft pin to properly hook the spring. The inner curl of spring needs to be carefully closed up until it grips the shaft snuggly. BUT FIRST, the anti-return spring on your winding shaft needs to be replaced or repaired AND the mainspring should be removed, cleaned, reshaped on the inner end, (as mentioned above), re-installed & greased.

The screw with the large washer under it, near the anti-return spring, should have the nearest end of that spring wrapped around it in order to anchor the spring end. It doesn't appear that this is currently the case. Either the spring end pulled out from under the screw/washer, or that end of the spring broke off. If it broke off, it's sometimes possible to unwind a turn or two the anti-return spring to reattach it to the anchor screw.

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

In total, I think this motor looks good, and you now have received from our helpful forum members, the details needed to have it serviced, it should not be a too difficult task for an experienced service professional. The motor reminds much also of the HMV 26589 motor that was inside my HMV model 87.
Good luck and congratulations with your nice HMV 99, and thank you very much for showing the photos of this motor. It also could be nice and interesting to see the complete machine of course, when it is ready and serviced ;) ..and the same minute I write this, I secured my purchase of the same type of machine (HMV 99), and will collect it later in the summer. Now I know what to expect when I receive it :ugeek:

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

Not relevant to this post, but nonetheless worth mentioning is that the weak spot on the 99 is the socket that the arm swivels in. It's VERY thin, and made of pot-metal, so is virtually irreparable. Check this is complete before buying a 99, and if you have one already, treat that socket with great care!

Barry

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Very important information Barry, and actually...the HMV 99 I bought a few minutes ago, has this exact problem! The socket is more or less destroyed, but follow the machine. I know I will meet a big challenge, and possibly even never be able to repair it, but I still decided to buy the machine, since they are pretty hard to find, and the price was also good, and a Goldring Luxus soundbox was also attached to it, which value alone covers almost what I paid for it.

DancingPriest
Victor Jr

Post by DancingPriest »

nostalgia wrote:In total, I think this motor looks good, and you now have received from our helpful forum members, the details needed to have it serviced, it should not be a too difficult task for an experienced service professional. The motor reminds much also of the HMV 26589 motor that was inside my HMV model 87.
Good luck and congratulations with your nice HMV 99, and thank you very much for showing the photos of this motor. It also could be nice and interesting to see the complete machine of course, when it is ready and serviced ;) ..and the same minute I write this, I secured my purchase of the same type of machine (HMV 99), and will collect it later in the summer. Now I know what to expect when I receive it :ugeek:
There's actually a video the previous owner posted... Mine is the first machine played, on the right.

(Double-click the video above or click this link to watch the video on YouTube in HD.)

DancingPriest
Victor Jr

Post by DancingPriest »

JerryVan wrote:I thought you stated that the crank initially didn't want to stay stopped after you wound it, but that it finally grabbed and did not spin backwards. However, if it did back-spin, that would explain the distorted condition of the innermost end of the spring. That end, being peeled open as it is, would not allow the winding shaft pin to properly hook the spring. The inner curl of spring needs to be carefully closed up until it grips the shaft snuggly. BUT FIRST, the anti-return spring on your winding shaft needs to be replaced or repaired AND the mainspring should be removed, cleaned, reshaped on the inner end, (as mentioned above), re-installed & greased.
It did jump back a bit alright now that you mention it, but it did seem to find what I thought was a comfortable spot a few seconds before the great unwinding.During that noise , it didn't move.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

DancingPriest wrote:
JerryVan wrote:I thought you stated that the crank initially didn't want to stay stopped after you wound it, but that it finally grabbed and did not spin backwards. However, if it did back-spin, that would explain the distorted condition of the innermost end of the spring. That end, being peeled open as it is, would not allow the winding shaft pin to properly hook the spring. The inner curl of spring needs to be carefully closed up until it grips the shaft snuggly. BUT FIRST, the anti-return spring on your winding shaft needs to be replaced or repaired AND the mainspring should be removed, cleaned, reshaped on the inner end, (as mentioned above), re-installed & greased.
It did jump back a bit alright now that you mention it, but it did seem to find what I thought was a comfortable spot a few seconds before the great unwinding.During that noise , it didn't move.

Well, no matter what happened, the spring needs to be removed, either to be cleaned & fixed, or to be replaced.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

I continue this thread, since I back in May as told in a post here, secured a purchase of a HMV 99, but because of the virus situation was first able to collect it yesterday. I drove in total 1270 km during a 18 hour span, to get both this model 99, and three more machines, one of them the Odeon 9102, shown in another post today.

So let us again have a look at the problem with this HMV model 99, the exact problem you warned about Barry, in your post back in May. I knew the tonearm socket was destroyed when I bought this machine, it was clearly told and shown on photos before the purchase, but I still wanted it. The model 99 is a hard to find machine, and it also has a Gold Ring Luxux soundbox attached to it, and that alone covers the purchase price really (€55, including shipping). In addition, I admittedly see it as a challenge to see if I can repair it ! That said, it is hard to understand how HMV could create such a thin base made of pot metal, for such a heavy tonearm, really.

I still have a question, can someone confirm that I have all the parts belonging to the tone arm section? Does the tonearm swivel freely in this thin socket? If I understand it right, the tonearm will then be detachable, by simply turning it to a position, where the two screws on the tonearm meet two holes ( now non existent) in this thin socket, right? When watching carefully the photo of the socket, one can see that it is the outer ring of this socket that is destroyed, the inner ring/part that the tonearme swivels on is intact, as I see it, when using a magnifying glass. (It is hard to see on the photo)
As one can see on the photos, I have the thin metal plate, that lies under the pot metal socket on the motorboard.
Maybe I never will be able to repair it, but I have an idea that I want to try out..and when I start the process, I will also show in photos if I am able to repair it, or not. Whatever happens, it will still be something to learn, and also the photos uploaded shows in details the challenge with this particular HMV portable for anyone who in the future meets this problem.

Apart from this evident problem, I think the machine looks good, even if it is lacking the record album, and original soundbox. I am also familiar with the motor that is inside the machine, when I come to the point in the next few weeks where I will service it ( after finising servicing an Odeon floor model).
Attachments
HMV 99 The PROBLEM in detail.jpg
HMV 99 first impression.jpg
HMV 99, missing recordalbum, but apart from it..good looking.jpg
HMV 99, front.jpg
HMV 99, closer look.jpg
HMV 99 (1).jpg
attached soundbox.jpg