Question About Early Victor Universal Motor

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonojim
Victor IV

Question About Early Victor Universal Motor

Post by phonojim »

I am currently working on a ca. 1915 Victor universal motor. I have never before seen one of these up close, much less been commissioned to make it work. That said, I do have previous experience with commutator-type motors. So far I'm good with it from a mechanical standpoint, but I'm curious about one thing regarding the electric motor itself. I don't know whether or not the commutator has been turned down, but the mica is even with the copper. Usually that is a concern but I have no idea whether or not the mica was ever undercut on this one. I once had a commutator turned in a projector motor but they didn't undercut the mica and the brushes failed in a few hours. This one is running well, but my concern is for the life of the brushes. If anyone has experience with these, I would appreciate hearing from them. I also would like to know if anyone has any opinions as to what type of grease to use on the turntable shaft pinion which is a composition gear. The label on the motorboard says Victor motor grease,so I was planning to use my usual automotive grease. Actually, almost anything would be better than the glop that was on there before I cleaned it.

Thanks,
Jim

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Question About Early Victor Universal Motor

Post by JerryVan »

phonojim wrote:I am currently working on a ca. 1915 Victor universal motor. I have never before seen one of these up close, much less been commissioned to make it work. That said, I do have previous experience with commutator-type motors. So far I'm good with it from a mechanical standpoint, but I'm curious about one thing regarding the electric motor itself. I don't know whether or not the commutator has been turned down, but the mica is even with the copper. Usually that is a concern but I have no idea whether or not the mica was ever undercut on this one. I once had a commutator turned in a projector motor but they didn't undercut the mica and the brushes failed in a few hours. This one is running well, but my concern is for the life of the brushes. If anyone has experience with these, I would appreciate hearing from them. I also would like to know if anyone has any opinions as to what type of grease to use on the turntable shaft pinion which is a composition gear. The label on the motorboard says Victor motor grease,so I was planning to use my usual automotive grease. Actually, almost anything would be better than the glop that was on there before I cleaned it.

Thanks,
Jim
Hi Jim!

The recollection I have of mine, is that the mica was not undercut either. It's most important that the mica does not sit higher than the copper. If you're concerned that it might, you could possibly put some wet-or-dry sandpaper against a hard block, and while spinning the armature, block sand it all smooth & even. Assuming of course that the mica will sand down easier than the copper!

Does this motor have the spring coupling to the worm shaft, or the coupling with two flanges and the leather disc in between? The spring type couplings seem to get messed up and can be a bear to make work smoothly.

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

Jerry, the mica and the copper do seem to be at the same height. Apparently it is not a problem at the relatively low speed at which this runs. This one does have the spring coupling which has not been bent out of shape.

Jim

wjw
Victor II

Post by wjw »

Hey, Jim: I have been using a Victrola with universal motor as my "go to" player for many years. I sanded the commutator one time to relieve some grooving and didn't consider the mica. It ran just as it did but quieter.
- bill