tonyCalvin
Victor O

Victor Talking Machine VV-XI Wind Up Record Player w/ Record

Post by tonyCalvin »

pallophotophone
Victor II

Re: Victor Talking Machine VV-XI Wind Up Record Player w/ Re

Post by pallophotophone »

Those records deserve much better treatment- free or not!

Henry
Victor V

Re: Victor Talking Machine VV-XI Wind Up Record Player w/ Re

Post by Henry »

It's one of the later production XI models (1919, acc. to the victor-victrola site), and I'd say it's priced over twice what I'd consider paying for it. (Mind you, I bought my XI-G in 1980 for $100, maybe too much back then but the machine was in beautiful condition.) This one needs some attention. My first concern is the taper tube (tone arm) position, which should not swing that far over to the right. There are many cosmetic dings, including those paint splatters on the back. At least the key is present, though bent, and that bag of parts is an odd lot indeed (who needs a shoe horn for a phonograph?). The motor board knob is missing, and the right-hand cabinet door is shoved in beyond its normal stop. The winding key escutcheon looks odd. Seems like the casters are missing, too, but it's hard to tell. The felt is not too bad, and might cleaned up OK with some Woolite® and a toothbrush. You'd certainly want to check out the mechanicals thoroughly, as the description implies. (The grass is full of weeds too, but I can't hold that against them :P )

Irwin, PA is s.e. of Pittsburgh, between there and Latrobe on U.S. Rt. 30, the Lincoln Highway, so if anybody out there is looking for a beginner's project, this might be the one.