The Gramophone Company Ltd. Machine

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Enrico
Victor I

The Gramophone Company Ltd. Machine

Post by Enrico »

I have this HMV machine in my collection. The decal is different than any other I have seen.
Can anyone explain to me why?
Thanks,
Enrico
Attachments
IMG_20200530_114841.jpg
IMG_20200530_114847.jpg
IMG_20200530_114930.jpg

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Re: The Gramophone Company Ltd. Machine

Post by nostalgia »

I needed check with the "His Master's Gramophone" book,since this decal also was new to me. According to the book, the decal is named "Royal Warrant" and was introduced in 1909, an attractive "Art Nouveau" influenced design that is particularly associated with the Pigmy Grand.
Thank you for showing your interesting gramophone, and I guess it is a good chance our HMV experts will also add to the information.

Enrico
Victor I

Post by Enrico »

nostalgia wrote:I needed check with the "His Master's Gramophone" book,since this decal also was new to me. According to the book, the decal is named "Royal Warrant" and was introduced in 1909, an attractive "Art Nouveau" influenced design that is particularly associated with the Pigmy Grand.
Thank you for showing your interesting gramophone, and I guess it is a good chance our HMV experts will also add to the information.
Thank you very much!! Grazie mille!

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

The Royal Warrant does indeed date this machine to around 1909. I believe your machine is an early 'Intermediate Monarch' and that corresponds with the date of the warrant. I have not seen the warrant on such a machine before, as said, it is mostly seen on the Pygmy Grand but I have seen it on the back of a Mahogany Senior Monarch.

The plug-in elbow shown with horn locating slot at the top of the elbow (rather than the underside) is later than the machine.

Enrico
Victor I

Post by Enrico »

jamiegramo wrote:The Royal Warrant does indeed date this machine to around 1909. I believe your machine is an early 'Intermediate Monarch' and that corresponds with the date of the warrant. I have not seen the warrant on such a machine before, as said, it is mostly seen on the Pygmy Grand but I have seen it on the back of a Mahogany Senior Monarch.

The plug-in elbow shown with horn locating slot at the top of the elbow (rather than the underside) is later than the machine.
Thanks for your reply and for the information!
Would the right arm be the one mounted on the machine in the photo?
Attachments
DSCN0400.JPG

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

Yes I think the bracket shown in the picture (with flange fitting elbow) may be more correct for a machine of 1909. Although the bracket you have with plug-in elbow may only be slightly later and still feasible. The location of the horn fixing slot, however, dates the horn elbow you have to much later.

I wonder if any US forum members know when Victor introduced the rear mount bracket with 'plug-in' elbow in the USA? In Britain it seems to have appeared about 1910-11. I may repost this question in 'machines'. :)

Enrico
Victor I

Post by Enrico »

jamiegramo wrote:Yes I think the bracket shown in the picture (with flange fitting elbow) may be more correct for a machine of 1909. Although the bracket you have with plug-in elbow may only be slightly later and still feasible. The location of the horn fixing slot, however, dates the horn elbow you have to much later.

I wonder if any US forum members know when Victor introduced the rear mount bracket with 'plug-in' elbow in the USA? In Britain it seems to have appeared about 1910-11. I may repost this question in 'machines'. :)
Got it! Thank you Jamie!

Enrico
Victor I

Post by Enrico »

do you like it more now?
Attachments
IMG_20200724_160604.jpg
IMG_20200724_160611.jpg
IMG_20200724_160617.jpg