FINALLY My first machine of 2020!!!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Re: FINALLY My first machine of 2020!!!

Post by AmberolaAndy »

I decided to take the Victor Exhibition apart. This will be the first time I’ve ever rebuilt one of these reproducers before. The back screws were much easier to take off than on a Victrola #2. (I didn’t strip any screws to the point they have to be drilled out.) So Once it get it all rebuilt I’ll make a test video of it for YouTube on a different machine.

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

Very nice machine there! Looks like an early model, those motors are not common, it is definitely an earlier motor. I always change my governor springs out, that it the least of the problems. Be careful tapping out any pins etc., on these motor frames, they can be fragile or brittle. Go slow and take breaks, I have used penetrating oil to soak in to loosen pins and bearings etc. just let it soak in, it’s all about patience.

That crank is also the early flat style, I think those cranks are stylish, but the joints on those break such as yours. I have seen quite a few that have been repaired or welded, it’s probably why Victor went to the later style crank,.You should be able to have it repaired or find another replacement. When downsizing after my move, I did keep my VV-VIII from around 1916, there is just something about this model that has those classic “Victrola looks” in a small package. Once you have restored your machine you will have a nice machine that will play for a long time.

All the best,

Jerry P.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Welp. I almost finished rebuilding my 1st exhibition reproducer, but OF COURSE one stupid roadblock had to get in my way... :roll:
Walt’s gasketing material doesn't give much room to make mistakes so the gap on the front gasket is a smidge too big than I would like it. But that’s not the big problem I’m having. Just when I thought I completed my rebuild, ONE stupid isolator flange screw decides to vaporize into thin air! Something happened to it between Sunday and now and it wasn’t in the ziplock bag I put everything else in. I absolutely cannot find where it disappeared to and now I have to spend another $10 to get one stupid screw I don’t have a spare for! Freakin’ typical! :evil:
Attachments
300D375C-2CE2-479C-A89F-1FAF08829AE3.jpeg
D162626F-71E9-4E20-87D5-827DA21049D3.jpeg

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

To hide the gap, conceal it behind the needle bar. To keep up with screws, put them through a piece of cardboard, cover them with masking tape & store inside your Victrola until you are ready to put it back together. To have more fun in the hobby, even when it gets frustrating, remember this stuff is 100+ years old and it's fine if it takes a week or two to fix it!

You're doing great. That's a big transformation on the reproducer & once you get the last bolt it should sound pretty good.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:To hide the gap, conceal it behind the needle bar. To keep up with screws, put them through a piece of cardboard, cover them with masking tape & store inside your Victrola until you are ready to put it back together. To have more fun in the hobby, even when it gets frustrating, remember this stuff is 100+ years old and it's fine if it takes a week or two to fix it!

You're doing great. That's a big transformation on the reproducer & once you get the last bolt it should sound pretty good.
Ok. next time I rebuild one of these I will put the gap under the needle bar. I still had to spend the $11 just for a screw. As always I appreciate your words of encouragement. :) I’m my own worst critic at times and I need to stop comparing myself with people with decades of experience with my only 4 years of experience.

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

AmberolaAndy wrote:Welp. I almost finished rebuilding my 1st exhibition reproducer, but OF COURSE one stupid roadblock had to get in my way... :roll:
Walt’s gasketing material doesn't give much room to make mistakes so the gap on the front gasket is a smidge too big than I would like it. But that’s not the big problem I’m having. Just when I thought I completed my rebuild, ONE stupid isolator flange screw decides to vaporize into thin air! Something happened to it between Sunday and now and it wasn’t in the ziplock bag I put everything else in. I absolutely cannot find where it disappeared to and now I have to spend another $10 to get one stupid screw I don’t have a spare for! Freakin’ typical! :evil:
Now that you've bought and paid for a replacement screw, that lost one will turn up soon! So then you'll have a spare. Problem solved!

No kidding, I just ordered a replacement remote for a tower fan because one of the buttons wasn't working. I took the original one apart, resoldered the contacts, spritzed it with tuner cleaner, and still it didn't work. Ten dollars later, replacement in hand, I try the old one. Works perfectly. So I can relate.

That's a nice machine you have there, and the rebuilt Exhibition should sound great. Happy listening!

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Ok I decided to take a picture of the data plate again. This VIII is S/N 30479! Now is it me? Or did a previous owner put poly on the inside lid? At least they kept the poly away from the rest of the cabinet!
Attachments
B741CFE6-C0E8-4108-8DF1-82DAD3053B50.jpeg
4206DCFC-BE45-401B-9B44-1686D9B055D8.jpeg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

It's possible that the inside of the lid could be just that nice. It was a "thing" in the 20's & 30's to spruce up older looking furniture, phonographs, etc., by putting on a coat of shellac. A few of my machines are examples of that. When done well, I have no problem with that. It appears that your nameplate may have a little finish that's lapped over onto its surface. If it has had a shellac overcoat, you should be able to dissolve/remove that spill over with some denatured alcohol. If it's poly, the alcohol wont touch it. That's only if you really want to know. My take on it, is that it looks great the way it is. I wouldn't change a thing based on what finish is currently on it.

I just reread what you wrote above, that you question if the previous owner poly coated the interior while leaving the exterior alone. Highly unlikely. Interiors are almost always far nicer than exteriors. Why would they have "refinished" the best looking part of the cabinet, while ignoring the worst? (Not that the exterior is at all bad!!! All of your machine is really nice!!)
Last edited by JerryVan on Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gramophone-georg
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Could also be a period correct "French polish"!
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

The Victor Exhibition finally plays!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp8-P5kp4sA

Now to make arrangements to get the rest of the Machine done!