Soundboxes/reproducers to identify and discuss

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Soundboxes/reproducers to identify and discuss

Post by nostalgia »

I thought it could be an idea to start a thread where we upload photos of soundboxes we need to identify or want to discuss. I feel this could be an excellent way of learning more about soundboxes.
Everyone is of course welcome to take part.
I start with this Regent soundbox that was attached to a Hmv 101 that I will use as a donor machine. Does someone know this soundbox?

I add another one: "Veni, Vidi Vici". I read on the German forum that Beka used this phrase on some of their record labels, so maybe it is a Beka soundbox?
Attachments
Veni Vidi Vici Soundbox (1).jpg
Veni Vidi Vici (2).jpg
IMG_20200619_155339.jpg
IMG_20200619_155403.jpg

nostalgia
Victor IV

Re: Soundboxes/reproducers to identify and discuss

Post by nostalgia »

I guess it was not an exactly easy task to identify the soundbox photos I uploaded so far I, but I will keep posting photos, when I aqcuire new soundboxes that I am unable to identify myself. Sharing photos and knowledge is still the only way to expand the general knowledge, also about soundboxes.

When writing this, a question came to my mind. Does it exist a manufacturer today that produce soundboxes for acoustic gramophones, that could be feasible to use as substitutes for original brand soundboxes?..and I am of course not thinking about India made crapophone soundboxes... :roll:

I have a few horn gramophones that could do with a new soundbox, since the original ones are completely ruined.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

I have a few horn gramophones that could do with a new soundbox, since the original ones are completely ruined.

Unless the metal bodies of the original reproducers are somehow destroyed (potmetal deterioration, etc.) most can be rebuilt and restored as good as they were when new. You might want to elaborate on your phrase - "completely ruined", better yet post a couple of pictures.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Hi Curt,
Here is a photo of one of the soundboxes attached to one of my Swizz/German horn gramophones, two other soundboxes are already thrown to the garbage, since the pot metal/metal completely dissolved into pieces when I tried to remove them from the gramophone, to have a closer look at them. This one is also extremely close to garbage as I see it, in fact I see it as garbage.
I have ordered a few good soundboxes online during the last few weeks, but I know..when they arrive, I tend to keep them, instead of attaching them to (horn/portable) gramophones that I plan to sell. That is why it could be convenient to attach a soundbox that was good, but still not too difficult to part with.
Attachments
soundbox.jpg

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

I've seen the Veni Vidi Vici before it is probably German post 1918 bot never seen the Regent or a Regent machine ? ? And that soundbox is trash but the needle bar screw and mica might be reusable at some time

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Adding another soundbox. A well chosen name, and much to live up to! I know nothing about what machine/brand it in the past was attached to.

Update on the Mozart soundbox: I have now seen the same soundbox attached to an original
Triumphon horn gramophone, and there is possibly a reason to believe that this soundbox was made for Triumphon...
Attachments
Mozart soundbox.jpg
Mozart soundbox, back.jpg
Last edited by nostalgia on Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

I also have a Mozart soundbox of a different design. The spelling "Wien" suggests a European make. A British one would probably show the name as "Vienna".

Apart from a few opera arias, not much Mozart was being recorded when these soundboxes were made.
Attachments
Mozart.JPG

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

Made in England No 77 on back

Made by who ? And what were n0 1to 76 ?
Attachments
Nancy 4 980.jpg
Nancy 4 981.jpg

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

It's great that new soundboxes are added. Then we have a better chance of getting some soundbox mysteries solved.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

I bought a Columbia 112a cheaply today, and before buying the portable, I could vaguely see from the distant photos that a Columbia soundbox was not attached to the tone arm. I could even say I bought the machine out of curiosity, wanting to find out what soundbox that was attached:;)
It reads Swiss made on the front, but no logo visible. Is it a Paillard or Thorens soundbox, maybe made for another manufacturer of gramophones, or is it something obscure? I will not say it looks exactly pretty, but I will not judge the soundbox by how it is looking, because it looks well made, and is heavy!
Attachments
soundbox1.jpg
soundbox2.jpg