How many machines are in your living room?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
saxymojo
Victor II

Re: How many machines are in your living room?

Post by saxymojo »

Hi Bruce
It's not a huge room but big enough to move around easily to play most of the machines, some have to be moved to play them. I will add a photo soon, at the moment both of my computers are tied up uploading to youtube.

Regards Marcel

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

In my living room I only have my Cheney console, a Viva-tonal 112 portable and my recently aquired HMV 109 which sits on the Cheney. In the dining room next to it I have a VV 1-70, a Sonora table model, a VV-VI, two Outing portables, three record cabinets and my 78's which are presently in stacks on the dining table. I haven't eaten in the room in over a decade. Besides this there are three saxophones, a trombone, six ukuleles, boxes of sheet music, an upright player piano and hundreds of piano rolls, and a bound set of Elbert Hubbard's "Philistine" magazine. A VV-405 is going to be shoehorned in someplace and I'm considering a Credenza.

The cylinder machines are upstairs, as is the Edison Disc section. I have Amberolas under the bed in my guest bedroom- haven't had a guest in years (surprise)

bbphonoguy
Victor III

Post by bbphonoguy »

I used to have a pile of phonos (none of them of stellar quality), but I got tired of living in a museum, so the only two I have in the living room are my Alhambra II and my VV230. I got rid of the rest except for one.

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

Folks,

I have about 17 machines (counting a couple of electric models and a curious franken-phone) in my parlor right now I think. Of course I don't use the room presently. I have five in my "study" which is the room I use most. (Granada, VV-X, H-19, Amberola 50 and a late Victor portable I'm working on.)

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

I'm with John on loading up the study or some other room "away from the crowds" with lots of records and some of your favorite phonos. It works best at least given our floorplan. We have a combined living/dinningroom with kitchen off to the side. Open stairwell going to the second story where the bedrooms are. This design sevverly limits when you can play your phonos.

My study on the other hand is behind two closed doors off the entry way. Nobody can hear what I'm doing back there.

The disadvantage is on those rare occaisions when guests come that actually would like to hear one, it's a bit crowded in the study. :monkey:

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

Valecnik,

You said it-I only have two chairs in my "study" so it's crowded when it's just me and my cat. ;) My place is a semi-detached three-decker, so I can't listen to my records as late into the night as I'd wish some times. That's when I envy the country folks. :)

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

Phonofolks
Victor I

Post by Phonofolks »

I have three in my living room: The Victor 6, Edison Concert and the Victor XI.

Rick

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Bruce

Your No. 12 is stunning and especially with that aluminium horn - quite a prize in itself!

It's not possible to "steal" a No. 12 upwards anymore than you could a Modele E or S. The fun is in the owning. Who cares about the money? LOL!
Last edited by Steve on Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Steve,

Yes of couse I've seen your E. Actually I commented on what a nice machine that was. I've only had a chance to buy one in such good condition one time a few years back and at that time there was a huge gap between available cash and the asking price and we were in the middle of building a house then to boot!

I'm not real familiar with all the Pathé models. Do you have any pictures of an "S"? I can't remember which one that is.

Cheers,
bruce
PS: I'll tell you who cares about the money. It's the seller! They understandably dont want to give the away and I don't always have the money. :(

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Bruce

I only know about the 'S' from the last Fabrizio & Paul book where an example of one is pictured. I did ask George Paul what he knew about that model and it appears that it is so rare that hardly anyone knows the answer! Tim confirmed that it was a 1908-1910 model (or thereabouts) but little else is known? Pathé introduced odd models at every juncture and there are too many to catalogue, not least because some of these rarities have never been seen in real life by any collectors!

Steve