Circa 1916 Record Collection List and Letters in VV-IX

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
pg1876
Victor O

Circa 1916 Record Collection List and Letters in VV-IX

Post by pg1876 »

I recently pulled a VV-IX and matching Pooley Record Cabinet out of an estate sale because I couldn't pass it up.

Slipped between the records in the cabinet I found an inventory of the original owner's (known only as B.C.S.) records (which, judging by the list, were still in the cabinet too) as well as the owner's calculation of expenses for the collection and an annotated local music club letter dated 1916.

Additionally, there are letters by the second(?) owner, a Mrs Virginia N. Potts, who writes RCA and a local serviceman in 1965 after a 'meddling teenager' damaged the reproducer. An equally interesting and amusing exchange to read.

For the expense calculation:
$118.65 is the sum of the records
$75.00 Victrola VV-IX
$7.50 Presumably the Pooley Cabinet
$1.00 An additional record?

I got a kick out of these documents so I thought I'd share. While not an opera fan myself, I thought others might take interest in an original owners inventory and club correspondence.

Scanned documents are attached below.
Attachments
Victrola IX - B.C.S. Music Collection.pdf
(772.9 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
Victrola IX - Wednesday Club Letter - March 27, 1916.pdf
(531.74 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
Victrola IX - B.C.S. Receipt Calc.pdf
(72.29 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
Vcitrola IX - Virginia Potts Repair Correspondence - July-August 1965.pdf
(572.8 KiB) Downloaded 83 times

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: Circa 1916 Record Collection List and Letters in VV-IX

Post by Inigo »

Very nice to keep all this correspondence!
Now if you want to repair something, or substitute new parts, you should keep a printout copy of your emails for continuing the machine life story alive and well recorded.
Inigo

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Wow, that's a wonderful collection of history!

Cheers,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

BillH_NJ
Victor II

Post by BillH_NJ »

Interesting collection of vocal and operatic selections, with some by well-known but not exactly top singers. Some of the usual non-operatic fare in the collection as well. People did keep track of prices. I remember my grandparents commenting that the record of the Lucia Sextet they had (and that I now have) cost $6 when new ($1 for each singer), although more recently I have seen that the list price of the record was actually $7 (which probably meant that you would be very careful to keep it safe).