Restoring name plate/ID tag

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Tom565
Victor Jr

Restoring name plate/ID tag

Post by Tom565 »

Hi. I recently picked up a Victor VV-IV phonograph. I'm in the process of restoring it and I was wondering what everyone does with the name plate when they are in poor shape like mine. Is it possible to bring back the original contrast between the letters and the black background? Thanks!
Attachments
20200830_133300.jpg

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: Restoring name plate/ID tag

Post by Inigo »

I would suggest a soft cleaning with a suitable product (wax? soft soap?) and leave it as is. Otherwise a heavy restoration would loose the patina and make it appear as a modern repro. I'm more on the 'don't touch anything' side now... I don't like over-restored machines. They seem false.
Inigo

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

For a gentle restoration I'd suggest a good cleaning followed by painting the entire tag with satin or semigloss black from a rattle can. After a day or two gently rub the tag with 0000 steel wool. This will identify the raised spots that should not have paint. Next use a Q-tip and lacquer thinner to remove the black from the high surfaces and the edge. Don't get too aggressive with the lacquer thinner. Finally, rub with 0000 steel wool to remove the last of the paint on high surfaces. Wax if desired.

You want a tag with a nice black background. If you happen to rub through the black background just shoot it all black again and start over. This is really an easy process and the end result is not an over restored tag.

Jerry B.

Tom565
Victor Jr

Post by Tom565 »

Thanks for the two different opinions on cleaning/restoring the tag. I think I'll work on the rest of the machine and save the tag for last. Then I'll make the decision on how far I want to take the restoration.

Jonsheff
Victor II
Personal Text: Let's make Victrolas Great Again!

Post by Jonsheff »

I normally just wash mine with dawn soap and very lightly rub with 0000 steel wool while cleaning. I think an authentic looking tag is best and even a worn tag on a well restored machine still looks great and doesn't detract from the overall look.