Victor 6 & 11 brake(s)

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Swanicyouth
Victor Jr

Victor 6 & 11 brake(s)

Post by Swanicyouth »

So, about 2 years ago I picked up a non working VV- XI at an antique store; for no other reason than I liked the cabinet & like antiques. Once it was home, I eventually couldn’t resist taking it apart and seeing what was wrong with it. It was a 1913 & it turns out one of the pins that holds a gear in the winding mechanism. Fabricated a pin & then noticed one of the holes one one of the springs wasn’t catching the holding pin on the center shaft of the axle that winds it. Fixed that. Since I came that far, I learned a little more about the machine & discovered the reproducer was shot. Got a rebuild kit & did that. Also, replaced the felt that was on terrible condition & cleaned up & polished everything.

So, to make a long story short - I got way more involved than I planned on - which usually happens. Got the machine in good workable order & looking pretty good. The recently I found a pretty nice 6. So, my question is - I haven’t gone down the rabbit hole with this yet, but the brake on both machines works but is pretty week at holding the turntable. I haven’t seen it yet - but is that little leather disk sold anywhere that presses on the turntable when the brake is on?
3D02BB87-3EC6-47F7-94DC-7E81B8F4D56E.jpeg
B1EC9C53-0D3E-4CBE-9B09-7201402D5E4A.jpeg

tesch1932
Victor I
Personal Text: I'm Steve

Re: Victor 6 & 11 brake(s)

Post by tesch1932 »

Here you go: https://www.ebay.com/itm/383689513816

cyber_tigger on ebay should be your go-to source for any small part like this

You could also buy a replacement spring from a good hardware store. Can't think of the correct size at the moment, but you can take the old one to compare.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Be sure the brake lever is operating freely as well. Put a small drop of oil at the pivot point. You can also rough up the face of your existing brake pad to remove the glaze on it. That sometimes helps.

Swanicyouth
Victor Jr

Post by Swanicyouth »

tesch1932 wrote:Here you go: https://www.ebay.com/itm/383689513816

cyber_tigger on ebay should be your go-to source for any small part like this

You could also buy a replacement spring from a good hardware store. Can't think of the correct size at the moment, but you can take the old one to compare.
Ordered. Thanks. Everything is free & lubed

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

You may be able to use a pliers and pull a bit more leather out. Just wiggle gently from side to side and don't force anything. When I service a brake pad like this, I like to use an awl to poke a tiny hole or 2 in the end of the pad, then put a drop of sewing machine oil on the pad. This will cause it to swell a bit, and will also reduce the noise made when the pad hits the turntable rim.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Nice trick!, Thanks!
Inigo