Post by antique1973 »

Maker: Edison
Model: Standard Model B with 2/4 min gearing
Reproducer: Model H Sapphire 4 min.
Motor: Single Spring
Serial: 482130
Year: 1906
Original Cost: $21
Case/Cabinet size: 11.75 H x 13 W x 9.5 D (inches)
Repro Parts: Brass Horn
Purchase price: $350
Current Value: $400-$500

This one came up on CL 4 miles from my house. It came with 18 cylinders
and about 10 "bonus" diamond discs. It runs great but the reproducer
sounds like it has an echo and the quality is not the greatest. I think
the sapphire stylus was used to play too many blue amberols over the
years. Overall its in great condition and I am happy to add it to my
collection!
Attachments
11012010373.jpg
11012010374.jpg
11012010375.jpg
11012010376.jpg
11012010377.jpg
11012010378.jpg

JohnM
Victor V

Re: Featured Phonograph No. 70

Post by JohnM »

A nice example! You should put a cygnet horn back on it since the back bracket is still present.
I would recommend sending the reproducer to Steve Medved in Florida for rebuilding. He only charges for any parts and shipping, not for labor, and is meticulous in his work. However, the reason I recommend Steve is not cost savings, but because what he is actually doing is compiling a database of Edison reproducer serial numbers and manufacturing characteristics for research purposes. There are any number of qualified rebuilders, and it can also be a do-it-yerself project, but I like to send all my Edison reproducers to Steve for rebuilding because it is a win-win situation for myself and for the hobby. He'll turn the stylus for you and eliminate that annoying echo.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

I agree. Steve's work is excellent and he's incredibly knowlegable about reproducers, especially Edison.

bob27556
Victor I

Post by bob27556 »

The box has a unique grain on the crank end. It looks as if they were a bit heavy with the green dye but that really brings out that cool pattern in the quarter sawn oak. Nice one!

antique1973
Victor IV
Personal Text: Victor Z, Victrola 4-3

Post by antique1973 »

JohnM wrote:A nice example! You should put a cygnet horn back on it since the back bracket is still present.
I would recommend sending the reproducer to Steve Medved in Florida for rebuilding. He only charges for any parts and shipping, not for labor, and is meticulous in his work. However, the reason I recommend Steve is not cost savings, but because what he is actually doing is compiling a database of Edison reproducer serial numbers and manufacturing characteristics for research purposes. There are any number of qualified rebuilders, and it can also be a do-it-yerself project, but I like to send all my Edison reproducers to Steve for rebuilding because it is a win-win situation for myself and for the hobby. He'll turn the stylus for you and eliminate that annoying echo.
Thanks John! do you have Steve's contact info by chance? I was going to rebuild it myself but that sounds very reasonable and turning the sapphire looks like delicate work. I don't happen to have a microscope and the worlds tiniest tweezers in my tool
kit. :lol:

antique1973
Victor IV

Post by antique1973 »

bob27556 wrote:The box has a unique grain on the crank end. It looks as if they were a bit heavy with the green dye but that really brings out that cool pattern in the quarter sawn oak. Nice one!
Thanks Bob! I noticed the intense grain on the side too. I was thinking maybe
someone started cleaning the cabinet and only did that side?? I will try some
kotten klenser on the box and lid when I get the chance to see if it can
brighten up a bit more.

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

Nice buy. The reproducer probably does need new gaskets and the sapphire rotated. I have rotated sapphires but it's not a job for the faint of heart especially if it is a moedl H. Doing a C is not too bad because the tip is actually big enough to see. I actually built a heated clamp which attaches to my soldering gun in place of the regular tip, holds the needle bar firmly im place and heats it all with no worries about dropping anything. I use an Optivisor binnocular magnifier with a 10X lens and a flip-down auxiliary lens.

Jim

antique1973
Victor IV

Post by antique1973 »

Valecnik wrote:I agree. Steve's work is excellent and he's incredibly knowlegable about reproducers, especially Edison.

Thanks Bruce, I am going to check in with Steve for sure.

wjw
Victor II

Post by wjw »

phonojim wrote:Nice buy. The reproducer probably does need new gaskets and the sapphire rotated. I have rotated sapphires but it's not a job for the faint of heart especially if it is a moedl H. Doing a C is not too bad because the tip is actually big enough to see. I actually built a heated clamp which attaches to my soldering gun in place of the regular tip, holds the needle bar firmly im place and heats it all with no worries about dropping anything. I use an Optivisor binnocular magnifier with a 10X lens and a flip-down auxiliary lens.

Jim
Love the clamp attached to the soldering iron.You grew two extra hands. It's in my box of tricks now. Thanks, Jim!

antique1973
Victor IV

Post by antique1973 »

phonojim wrote:Nice buy. The reproducer probably does need new gaskets and the sapphire rotated. I have rotated sapphires but it's not a job for the faint of heart especially if it is a moedl H. Doing a C is not too bad because the tip is actually big enough to see. I actually built a heated clamp which attaches to my soldering gun in place of the regular tip, holds the needle bar firmly im place and heats it all with no worries about dropping anything. I use an Optivisor binnocular magnifier with a 10X lens and a flip-down auxiliary lens.

Jim
Thanks Jim for sharing your technique. I may attempt one some day but for my first one I am going to ship
it to Steve. I think I will avoid playing Blue Amerols on the machine and just save those for the
Amberola 30.