Questions about a Sonoradio I inherited

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
skucera
Victor Jr

Questions about a Sonoradio I inherited

Post by skucera »

First, thank you for letting me join the forum. This is my first post here.

I inherited a Sonora Sonoradio from my mom. It belonged to her departed husband, and I think he restored it. He was a retired phone company installer and repair technician, and he loved fixing up old gramophones, telephones, and other fun old things. Unfortunately, despite seeing it in their house for years and even despite listening to records played on it, I never picked his brain about the technical details of the unit.

I'd like to learn more about it. I've been Googling as much as I can on it, but there just isn't a lot online. From what I've seen, the radio was removed from this unit decades ago, which is too bad because I'd have enjoyed playing with the radio too. It was removed in a very classy way, and that may have been Jack's handiwork.

I'll post some pictures after I figure out how to do that with this forum engine. I see an "Img" button, so that's probably the place to start, eh?

Anyway, I hope someone here knows something about Sonoradios. Here are my initial questions:

1. How can if tell if my Sonoradio was originally built as a model 241 or a 242?
2. Were there other models of Sonoradio? If so, where can I learn about them?
3. Is there a data plate or label hidden somewhere on or under or inside the cabinet that can help me identify the model?
4. Can someone point me to the proper needles to use with this thing so I don't damage records?

I appreciate any other helpful hints, if anyone wants to help me learn about this cool old machine.

Thanks in advance,
Scott

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Re: Questions about a Sonoradio I inherited

Post by drh »

Hi, and welcome!

I can't help with your Sonoradio, but I can offer this about posting photos: when you write a post, you'll see a box below the "submit" button labeled "choose file." Click that, and the usual sort of Windows Explorer window will open; from there you can select a photo from your hard drive. For instance, I just selected (by double clicking) a picture of my Amberola 75. Then click the button below labeled "add the file." A little window will open with a progress bar and a notice your upload is in progress. When that's done, the name of your now attached photo file will appear in an "Attachments:" line immediately under the message text. Click "submit" to post your message, and the photo will appear with it. If you want to add more photos, just go back to that same "choose file" box, which is still down there, and repeat the process. I hope this helps, and good luck with the Sonoradio!
Attachments
Amberola 75-1.JPG

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

As stated above, it's easy to post pics. The pic below shows exactly how to do it...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 5.39.29 PM.png
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Kirkwood
Victor II

Post by Kirkwood »

The Radiomuseum site (radiomuseum.org) has a listing for the Sonoradio 242 but has an advert that shows the 241 as well, I believe. If you remove the phonograph turntable, you may find a metal data plate under there with the model and serial number. Those plates are mounted in different places in some models. Too bad the radio portion is gone.

phonolamplighter
Victor O
Personal Text: Say it With Music

Post by phonolamplighter »

Hello Scott,

You can get lots of good information about the Sonora phonographs and Sonoradio, there is a great book by RJ Wakeman (Sonora Phonographs)and you can access that through the Antique Phonograph Society website. antiquephono.org

If you are not yet a member of APS, please consider joining, there are so many benefits to the membership.

We have a Sonoradio that never had the radio components placed in it, the cabinet is made to accommodate them and we were at a loss as to what some of the compartments are for, but found the answers here on the forum. You can also try the "search" and read what information is already posted here from other members.

Look forward to those pictures!
Ed and Nancy

skucera
Victor Jr

Post by skucera »

The data plate was right under the turntable platen. It turns out the model is a Sonoradio 241-A. Here are a few pictures for everyone to see.

First, the way it looked after we unloaded it from the moving truck:
First photo in a dark garage
First photo in a dark garage
Next, the decals are just beautiful, including the one from Meier & Frank, a ritzy department store in Portland where this unit was originally sold, and the Sonoradio decal under the lid:
Sonoradio decal under the photograph-side lid
Sonoradio decal under the photograph-side lid
Beautiful store decal
Beautiful store decal
The data plate was under the turntable, just as you said it would be. I didn't take a picture of it, but the record player parts appear to be made in Switzerland.
Data plate
Data plate
I appear to have maxed out the the attachments for this message, so I'll figure out how to show more photos somehow.

Thanks,
Scott

skucera
Victor Jr

Post by skucera »

Continuing with the photos, here's the radio side of the unit. As I mentioned, the radio was removed, which is too bad:
Radio side blanking plate... too bad they felt the need to remove the radio
Radio side blanking plate... too bad they felt the need to remove the radio
The speaker is beautiful, with a tasteful grille:
The horn speaker is beautifully made, with a tasteful speaker grille
The horn speaker is beautifully made, with a tasteful speaker grille
...and absolutely beautiful woodwork for the curving sides of the speaker horn:
Speaker horn with the grille removed
Speaker horn with the grille removed
Here's a view with better illumination into the depths of the curving speaker horn:
Looking deeper into the speaker horn
Looking deeper into the speaker horn
Yeah, I should probably go through this with a dust cloth and some Liquid Gold.

Scott

skucera
Victor Jr

Post by skucera »

The left side includes three sections behind the cabinet door. First, there's an upper drawer that I think was for storing spare parts, like needles, radio tubes, etc.:
Storage drawer
Storage drawer
The battery compartment is empty, of course, since the radio was removed:
Battery compartment
Battery compartment
The crank handle can be removed for transport, so here's what it looks like once the crank handle has been refitted:
Right end of cabinet with phonograph crank handle re-installed
Right end of cabinet with phonograph crank handle re-installed
The back of the cabinet is a beautifully finished as the front and sides. I think they fully intended that this unit would be the center of attention with curious people crowding around from all sides to see a combined radio and phonograph.
Rear of cabinet is just beautiful
Rear of cabinet is just beautiful
Well, that's enough photos for now. If anyone wants to see some other details, please let me know.

Scott

skucera
Victor Jr

Post by skucera »

phonolamplighter wrote:Hello Scott,

You can get lots of good information about the Sonora phonographs and Sonoradio, there is a great book by RJ Wakeman (Sonora Phonographs)and you can access that through the Antique Phonograph Society website. antiquephono.org

If you are not yet a member of APS, please consider joining, there are so many benefits to the membership.

We have a Sonoradio that never had the radio components placed in it, the cabinet is made to accommodate them and we were at a loss as to what some of the compartments are for, but found the answers here on the forum. You can also try the "search" and read what information is already posted here from other members.

Look forward to those pictures!

Ed, I've already been searching the forum posts here and on APS. So, an original Sonoradio was actually built without the radio set? I wonder if that's why my unit is a "model 241-A"? The data plate also has "30R" on it, so I wonder if that referred to the radio model? I've got to do more research.

Thanks,
Scott

phonolamplighter
Victor O
Personal Text: Say it With Music

Post by phonolamplighter »

Hey Scott,

This is becoming a "small world" story. We have the exact same model Sonoradio as you have. Our serial number is G-12140, the G referring to the gold plated hardware. Our machine also has the Meier & Frank decal. A local dealer here in Portland, they are out of business now.

Do you know the history of where your machine came from? Are you anywhere near the Northwest? It can be fascinating to follow the movement or migration of a phonograph.

Hope you enjoy that Sonora!
Ed and Nancy