WARNING - Potentially disturbing images...

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Frisco The Beagle
Victor I
Personal Text: Always looking for V-Discs!

WARNING - Potentially disturbing images...

Post by Frisco The Beagle »

Came across this unusual floor covering while checking out a thrift store in Monte Vista, Colorado. These are all LP's, with the exception of some 45's applied to the steps leading up to the deck. I am not sure what type of finish was applied over them.

I don't collect LP's, but imagine this might be disturbing to those who do...
Attachments
20200926_153923.jpg
20200926_153919.jpg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: WARNING - Potentially disturbing images...

Post by JerryVan »

Their landlord is gonna be just thrilled!

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

I know a record store where the owner covered the floor with loose LP records of artists he did not like, so the customers would have to step on them. He stopped doing that when some customers gave him a hard time because they had to step on music they would otherwise have bought from him.

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

Well, I see one Columbia six-eye; people do go on about those, although I don't know how much that would apply to this one, evidently a soundtrack issue of "The Red Shoes." On the other hand, I see an outtake from some Time-Life set or other; those often contain good reissue material, but as collector's items their value is generally nada. The blue-label London is a Mantovani record, and next to them is a KTel record--ditto. I also see at least one Columbia Special Products issue; those, I think, as a rule are not much in demand, either. I'm going to make the heroic assumption these records were probably either "dregs" or else like the Brazilian Columbia acoustic I have framed as a decoration over my stereo set: pretty labels but grooves in dubious or worse condition making them good for display only. Certainly thrift store LPs can be pretty scratched up by bad handling after spending much time in the bins, and I'd expect these are records that had sat there without selling for a while.