Blue Amberols on Ebay

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
edisonplayer
Victor IV

Blue Amberols on Ebay

Post by edisonplayer »

Yesterday I bought what the seller said were Blue Amberols. In fact,there were 5 Blue Amberols, 6 wax Amberols.and 1 4 minute Indestructible.I bought the group for wax Amberol 574,By The Light of the Silvery Moon Medley by the New York Miltary Band edisonplayer.

soundgen
Victor V

Re: Blue Amberols on Ebay

Post by soundgen »

“Perhaps the less we have, the more we are required to brag.”
― John Steinbeck, East of Eden

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

I meant to put this post in Music. edisonplayer.

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

I assume with the wax Amberols that they are what the lids say they are. edisonplayer.

phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Post by phonogal »

edisonplayer wrote:I assume with the wax Amberols that they are what the lids say they are. edisonplayer.
You may get lucky and get the cylinder that you wanted. Just because that is what's on a lid doesn't mean that's what is in the box. There are lots of 4 minute wax amberol boxes that are used for other cylinders as the empty boxes are so plentiful due to the fragile nature of those cylinders.

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

Hopefully that'll be the case,especially with the Silvery Moon Medley. edisonplayer

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

One of my less happy eBay experiences was buying a group of 4-minute wax Amberols, otherwise selections in which I had no interest, in order to get no. 707, Henri Litolff's "Spinning Song" played by a pianist named Karel Bondam--rare repertory even today. When the box arrived, most were OK, but that cylinder was shattered into a million pieces, and one called "Katy Did," not even mentioned in the listing, was included. When I hastened to inquire, the seller said he'd dropped the one I wanted and broke it, so he put in "Katy Did" as a substitute--well, they were both cylinders, so it's the same thing, right?

I think he must be the same guy who programmed eBay to send those stupid messages about "Sorry, you didn't win Florencio Constantino singing 'Celeste Aida' :( --but wait! :D We found something else you'd like: Arthur Collins singing 'Mammy's Little Pickininny Coon Loves His Possum'! Bid today so you don't lose out!" :roll:

phonogal
Victor IV

Post by phonogal »

drh wrote:One of my less happy eBay experiences was buying a group of 4-minute wax Amberols, otherwise selections in which I had no interest, in order to get no. 707, Henri Litolff's "Spinning Song" played by a pianist named Karel Bondam--rare repertory even today. When the box arrived, most were OK, but that cylinder was shattered into a million pieces, and one called "Katy Did," not even mentioned in the listing, was included. When I hastened to inquire, the seller said he'd dropped the one I wanted and broke it, so he put in "Katy Did" as a substitute--well, they were both cylinders, so it's the same thing, right?

I think he must be the same guy who programmed eBay to send those stupid messages about "Sorry, you didn't win Florencio Constantino singing 'Celeste Aida' :( --but wait! :D We found something else you'd like: Arthur Collins singing 'Mammy's Little Pickininny Coon Loves His Possum'! Bid today so you don't lose out!" :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol: I really don't understand the listings for cylinders that don't show or give the names of the records or the condition. Do they think you just want to sit it on a shelf and look at it?

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

phonogal wrote:
drh wrote:One of my less happy eBay experiences was buying a group of 4-minute wax Amberols, otherwise selections in which I had no interest, in order to get no. 707, Henri Litolff's "Spinning Song" played by a pianist named Karel Bondam--rare repertory even today. When the box arrived, most were OK, but that cylinder was shattered into a million pieces, and one called "Katy Did," not even mentioned in the listing, was included. When I hastened to inquire, the seller said he'd dropped the one I wanted and broke it, so he put in "Katy Did" as a substitute--well, they were both cylinders, so it's the same thing, right?

:lol: :lol: :lol: I really don't understand the listings for cylinders that don't show or give the names of the records or the condition. Do they think you just want to sit it on a shelf and look at it?
In a sense, yes. If you're not into the hobby, you probably assume that people are primarily interested in the machines for decorative purposes and that you only need a small number of records purely for random demonstrations. I'm sure there are plenty of people who can't imagine that anyone would actually take pleasure in owning and actually using these things!

phonogal
Victor IV

Post by phonogal »

52089 wrote:
phonogal wrote:

In a sense, yes. If you're not into the hobby, you probably assume that people are primarily interested in the machines for decorative purposes and that you only need a small number of records purely for random demonstrations. I'm sure there are plenty of people who can't imagine that anyone would actually take pleasure in owning and actually using these things!
Even if that is their assumption. They are selling an item that the buyer is not able to personally view. Pictures and a good description of the item would seem appropriate.