Early Pathé records - Questions.

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Wolfe
Victor V

Re: Early Pathé records - Questions.

Post by Wolfe »

soundgen wrote: doesn't seem to produce sound on a Pathé
There isn't a reason that a stylus that works with Edison doesn't produce sound with a Pathé - assuming you at least hearing surface noise from the Pathé but no other audio content. If the cart is wired properly for vertical you should pick up some recorded content with whatever stylus you are using. Now I am playing a "rooster label' Pathé with a Stanton 680V cartridge, conical .7 mil stylus, 3 grams force. It's playing well, not skipping at all, even on a record that is pressed a little off center.

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Mike, if you only have one Pathé record I suggest you buy and try another one. I, in turn, only own one Edison Diamond and whatever I do the sound is almost unhearable, and the "funny" side of it is that wether I wire the pick-up for vertical or horizontal signal it plays nearly the same. I suppose the record has issues.

Norman, which kind of Technics turntable is the one that I see in picture? Did you buy one of the recent units natively featuring 78 RPM, or - just as mine - is it a SL1200 modified with a KAB Broadcast Standard add on in order to speed it up to 78?

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

soundgen wrote:How does that 3 mil compare to a standard microgroove diamond stylus of conical (spherical) form has a radius of 25μm (0.001")? Which works on a Diamond disc bu doesn't seem to produce sound on a Pathé ?
A narrower LP-compatible stylus works quite well too. Subjectively I'd say the output is slightly lower but very subtle. I prefer smaller styli for diamond discs in good condition, which can reduce surface noise.

What's your setup (TT, cartridge, pre-amp, etc.)?

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Marco Gilardetti wrote: is it a SL1200 modified with a KAB Broadcast Standard add on in order to speed it up to 78?
The KAB modded Technics can only go up to 85 rpm. 8% adjustment either way. The newer Technics on the market now have a broader pitch range. The center start Pathé back there is a 90 rpm jobbie.

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

Marco Gilardetti wrote:Norman, which kind of Technics turntable is the one that I see in picture? Did you buy one of the recent units natively featuring 78 RPM, or - just as mine - is it a SL1200 modified with a KAB Broadcast Standard add on in order to speed it up to 78?
I have both, an SL-1210 M3D with KAB-mod as well as an SL-1200GR. The one in the photo is the M3D, just pitched the file digitally to 90rpm. For really obscure media I also have a Reloop RP-6000 which plays anything from 16 ⅔ to 117 rpm, also backwards.

Te pitch range of the M3D is indeed limited but works fine for most regular records and diamond discs.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Marco Gilardetti wrote:Mike, if you only have one Pathé record I suggest you buy and try another one.
Is it possible this one Pathé in question is a lateral record ? If it says "Actuelle" on the label, it's lateral and you won't get much trying to play it with a vertical wired cartridge.