Questions about a Sonoradio I inherited

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
skucera
Victor Jr

Re: Questions about a Sonoradio I inherited

Post by skucera »

phonolamplighter wrote:Hey Scott,

This is becoming a "small world" story. We have the exact same model Sonoradio as you have. Our serial number is G-12140, the G referring to the gold plated hardware. Our machine also has the Meier & Frank decal. A local dealer here in Portland, they are out of business now.

Do you know the history of where your machine came from? Are you anywhere near the Northwest? It can be fascinating to follow the movement or migration of a phonograph.

Hope you enjoy that Sonora!

Ed,

Yes, I'm born and bred in Oregon. My mom was born in Portland, my dad in Salem, and I was born in Eugene. I remember Meier & Frank very well as a posh department store. The Meier & Frank chain was sold from major retailer to major retailer a few times, and they eventually converted all the Meier & Frank stores to other names like Macy's, Robinson's, and May, if I dimly remember the newspaper articles from back in the day.

I remember the machine in my mom's new husband's house when she moved in with him in Portland in 1998 after they married. I don't know how long he had it or where he got it. He was a phone company installer and repairman who loved to tinker with old machines, and I think he fixed this one up himself.

Actually, it hurts me to admit this, but I don't have anywhere in my house to properly display and use this Sonoradio. I'm thinking about consigning it at an antique store, because I don't want to leave it in an unheated garage over the winter. Know of anyone in Oregon who would like to add it to their collection? Know of any antique dealers who have a clientele interested in a machine like this one?

Thanks,
Scott