HMV Model 32 sold today

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Orchorsol
Victor IV

HMV Model 32 sold today

Post by Orchorsol »

https://auctions.specialauctionservices ... %2Fid%2F85

Hammer price was £750, which with the commission rate of "The Saleroom" platform (higher than bidding online on SAS Auctions' own site) and VAT equates to £975. I was interested in this and might have bid, but the price went a little beyond me!

In case the link disappears, here's the description: A horn gramophone, HMV Model 32, with mahogany-finished teak case, No. 4 soundbox, quadruple-spring No. 34 motor, 12-inch turntable and black Morning Glory horn (20½ x 21 in. diam.) (working order, needs 'tidying', trade-mark replaced). Photos below.

I've posted this in the general section (not the Town Square alerts) as it's no longer a live auction, but interesting to those of us who are into these gramophones.
Attachments
HMV Mod 32 SAS Oct 2020 1.jpg
HMV Mod 32 SAS Oct 2020 2.jpg
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Re: HMV Model 32 sold today

Post by nostalgia »

I actually thought these late HMV horn models were generally far more expensive when they were auctioned?
Last edited by nostalgia on Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Aside from the fact that I can't stand the sight of these machines, which to my eyes sum up all the cons of external horns with all the cons of internal horns with all the cons of portables (definitely not my cup of tea :? :coffee: ) hadn't this machine sold for a crazy price, given its conditions? The motorboard is obviously cracked, and what's going on with that decal that looks overimposed on a previous one of a different size? And "tidying" that horn will do just nothing in my humble opinion...

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

This was one of over 50 machines from the estate of a deceased collector friend. Alastair (Old Country Chemist) and I assisted his widow with sending them to auction.

Over half of the machines sold at or above their top pre-sale estimates, the main exception being the HMV193 which only achieved £950. We will be visiting the widow on Friday, and hope that she will be pleased with the overall results, especially given the difficulties and restrictions which all auctioneers are having to cope with during the current pandemic.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Marco Gilardetti wrote:Aside from the fact that I can't stand the sight of these machines, which to my eyes sum up all the cons of external horns with all the cons of internal horns with all the cons of portables (definitely not my cup of tea :? :coffee: )
I can totally understand that Marco! But these HMVs do have their attractions to some of us. Surprisingly good sound - the colonial vibe - and the fact that an EMG horn can be fitted to them without any modification.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Marco Gilardetti wrote:Aside from the fact that I can't stand the sight of these machines, which to my eyes sum up all the cons of external horns with all the cons of internal horns with all the cons of portables (definitely not my cup of tea :? :coffee: ) hadn't this machine sold for a crazy price, given its conditions? The motorboard is obviously cracked, and what's going on with that decal that looks overimposed on a previous one of a different size? And "tidying" that horn will do just nothing in my humble opinion...
Marco, the motorboard of these machines is built with two separate parts, which over time split apart. Mine is like that as well. The decal is the correct one, although I agree it looks like it is superimposed on something else - it could be an optical illusion from the photo, but it looks funny. The best part of these machines is that they sound very good. Some years ago a price such as this would be a steal even with the flaws you detected, but it is probably in line with today's market. These machines were only sold in India, which makes them more desirable than boring Monarchs.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

The version I have, the model number of which escapes me, is a subsequent iteration of this form factor. It has the fat tonearm and HMV 5 reproducer. It sounds really really good, which helps with the funky appearance a bit.

Are they more rare and/or sought-after than the 32?

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

The Model 32 was sold in the UK -- but the fact that this one had a teak case indicates that it was an Indian one, and for an Indian one its condition was not at all bad. That 'split' in the motor board is not a split, it is a join that has separated due to shrinkage. What people may not have noticed was the size of the horn (20 x 21 in), smaller than the normal full-size Morning Glory (24 x 22 in approx) but slightly larger than the Junior Monarch size. The trade mark had indeed been overstuck - it said so in the catalogue.

Daithi
Victor II

Post by Daithi »

epigramophone wrote:This was one of over 50 machines from the estate of a deceased collector friend. Alastair (Old Country Chemist) and I assisted his widow with sending them to auction.
Old Country Chemist contributed a reply to this forum today on his topic entitled "NIPPER AND HIS GRAM GOING ON AN AEROPLANE". How can this be?

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

Daithi wrote:
epigramophone wrote:This was one of over 50 machines from the estate of a deceased collector friend. Alastair (Old Country Chemist) and I assisted his widow with sending them to auction.
Old Country Chemist contributed a reply to this forum today on his topic entitled "NIPPER AND HIS GRAM GOING ON AN AEROPLANE". How can this be?

When I saw it I thought as well Poor Old Alastair until I reread it , doh :oops: Full stop not read !

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/562 ... xaggerated

WE need a cartoon ! :D