Transporting a VV 4-7

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
2002too
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Long live the “King of Jazz”

Transporting a VV 4-7

Post by 2002too »

I’m negotiating on a very pretty VV 4-7 which is quite a ways from where I am, too far to see in person. The vehicle I hope to use to transport it home has a limited cargo space and may not be able to accommodate the full height of the unit. The construction of the cabinet suggests that simply by removing a few screws the leg assembly might separate from the box, which would resolve the issue handily. Does this sound reasonable? I am aware of the need to remove the motor board and handle it separately before messing with or moving the cabinet.

Thanks in advance.

Victor VI

Re: Transporting a VV 4-7

Post by 52089 »

I don't own a 4-7 so I can't be sure about your ability to remove the legs. However, you definitely can remove the lid, which will buy you a few inches. I used to do that will my old sedan. I could lay pretty much any upright cabinet across the back seat provided I took the lid off.

I don't think you really need to worry about removing the motor board, which should be screwed down, but removing it will make the cabinet a bit lighter and easier to move. You definitely do need to remove the turntable and secure it separately. I would also remove the reproducer and wrap it up well as it is the most expensive part of the machine.

Good luck and do post pictures once you have it.

AZ*
Victor IV

Re: Transporting a VV 4-7

Post by AZ* »

I have owned a VV 4-7 for over 50 years. About 25 years ago, two of the legs were damaged, and I removed them so they could be repaired. I can't remember how I did it, but it is possible. Unfortunately, my 4-7 is not accessible at the moment, so I can't give you any more details.

But I did remove the legs, so it can be done. Good luck!
Best regards ... AZ*