Gramtastic
Victor III

What is it ?

Post by Gramtastic »

Sidewinder
Victor III

Re: What is it ?

Post by Sidewinder »

Was in a land auction a few days ago. Possible home made from different parts?

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Wow ! It has reached a total of about £ 82 with postage so far so there must be something good about it maybe ?

An interesting design on the lid ?
Attachments
whatk.jpg

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

The machine appears to be authentic, but the lid is probably the work of an enthusiastic amateur. It is not hinged at the rear to enable records to be played with it shut, so it's only function is to keep the dust off. I think it is the wooden horn that the bidders want.

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

epigramophone wrote:The machine appears to be authentic, but the lid is probably the work of an enthusiastic amateur. It is not hinged at the rear to enable records to be played with it shut, so it's only function is to keep the dust off. I think it is the wooden horn that the bidders want.

Aha ! Thank you for your thoughts / observations epigramophone. Most interesting indeed.

Antonia E
Victor O
Personal Text: Round, like a badger with a frizbee, running rings around a spoon...

Post by Antonia E »

I spotted this one too as it’s not all that far from me (being in the NE). Have to agree that the horn looks to be it’s most saleable feature, but that to me was balanced against a measure of horror concerning the “flag” seen in the background of a couple of the pictures!!!
"I might of come across a darned sight cleverer if I'd kept my mouth shut....."

phonosandradios
Victor II
Personal Text: So many audio formats, so little listening time!

Post by phonosandradios »

OMG you're right. I looked at the photos earlier and focused on the machine and didn't even notice that in the background!
I am interested in all forms of audio media including: gramophones, phonographs, wire recorders, the tefifon, reel to reel tapes, radiograms and radios.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Those flag pictures alone should kick it off eBay if reported.

In regards to the lid, in the US there were similar after market lids available for the lidless VV-VI. They were not hinged either and had a similar cutout for the tonearm bracket. A nice solution to keep the dust off. Maybe the maker of this machine tried to combine this benefit of an internal horn machine with their external horn product? If this was close to me I would be interested if it turned out to be original.

Andreas

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

I have no interest in Nazi memorabilia, and I doubt that the seller even noticed that a small part of the flag was in the pictures.
As for "kicking it off eBay" try entering "Nazi" as a search. I found almost 21,000 items listed. Whether we like it or not, these things are widely collected.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

epigramophone wrote:I have no interest in Nazi memorabilia, and I doubt that the seller even noticed that a small part of the flag was in the pictures.
As for "kicking it off eBay" try entering "Nazi" as a search. I found almost 21,000 items listed. Whether we like it or not, these things are widely collected.
The trade of Nazi stuff is forbidden in Germany, but it is legal in most other European countries. It is odd that someone would use a Nazi flag as background to sell anything, but, like Roger, this kind of memorabilia does not fall in my list of interests, much to the opposite.