SOLD! Victor VV-XX VTLA - $7500 (Discussion)

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
OrthoFan
Victor V

Re: SOLD! Victor VV-XX VTLA - $7500

Post by OrthoFan »

Raphael wrote:I bought this from Doug, one of the nicest members of this Forum. When it arrived here I decided to spruce it up, so it would fit in with the rest of the antiques that decorate our house. My wife and I believe that "originality" need not include chips, scrapes, fading, and other signs of wear and tear. That, of course is a matter for endless discussion among collectors, and to me, it's like brussels sprouts: some people love 'em, some hate 'em, and one side will never convince the other.

I gave strict instructions to my restoration shop not to strip the finish; a light wet sanding, repairs as necessary, and to try to make the outside finish comparable to the insides (which was not touched). They also applied new gold leaf and toned it down to an antique patina.

It's now back home and, in my opinion, looking damn good. Mack, my retstorer, is going to return next week to tone down the gold leaf on another XX that I have.

Raphael
Hi Raphael:

I've never come across a VV-XX in person, and just have a quick question, based on something an old-time collector told me several decades ago (long before the internet and the wealth of information now available to collectors).

Was there any evidence that a protective top-coat of shellac or varnish had been applied to the gold leaf portions of the cabinet at the factory?

OrthoFan

PeterF
Victor IV

Re: SOLD! Victor VV-XX VTLA - $7500 (Discussion)

Post by PeterF »

:lol:
Last edited by PeterF on Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Swing Band Heaven
Victor III

Post by Swing Band Heaven »

:D .
Last edited by Swing Band Heaven on Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

fmblizz
Victor IV

Post by fmblizz »

Unbelievable,,, this certainly explains why music box people think phonograph collectors are anal-retentive...

blizz

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Raphael wrote:
I gave strict instructions to my restoration shop not to strip the finish; a light wet sanding, repairs as necessary, and to try to make the outside finish comparable to the insides (which was not touched). They also applied new gold leaf and toned it down to an antique patina.

It's now back home and, in my opinion, looking damn good. Mack, my retstorer, is going to return next week to tone down the gold leaf on another XX that I have.

Raphael
Very professional work, the machine looks great! I wish I had access to a Mack here in Luxembourg, I would have a couple of machines for him to work on.

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

OrthoFan wrote: Was there any evidence that a protective top-coat of shellac or varnish had been applied to the gold leaf portions of the cabinet at the factory?[/b]

OrthoFan
At this point I cannot say for sure what the original coatings were, there seem to be conflicting reports.

Raphael

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

CarlosV wrote:
Very professional work, the machine looks great! I wish I had access to a Mack here in Luxembourg, I would have a couple of machines for him to work on.
Mack is 78 and his brother who works with him is 82. They are both on the verge of retirement. Interestingly, they gave up half of their workshop last year because the adjacent business needed more space. Guess what - it’s a vinyl record-making company!

Raphael

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Raphael wrote:
CarlosV wrote:
Mack is 78 and his brother who works with him is 82. They are both on the verge of retirement. Interestingly, they gave up half of their workshop last year because the adjacent business needed more space. Guess what - it’s a vinyl record-making company!

Raphael
Unfortunately, the dearth of expert craftsmen is a trend, there are fewer and fewer people in the new generation that are willing to learn a craft and make a living out of it. Outside the large museums in Europe, it is becoming more and more difficult to find the people who will fix your old clocks, upholster the old sofas and restore gramophone cabinets. We are living the age of short-term interests, and a dwindling number of young people develop the interest for antiquities. You would be shocked to see the high quality beautiful old furniture that cannot find any buyer around here just because it is dark wood and therefore not fashionable.

ticticdok
Victor III

Post by ticticdok »

Raphael,

I know what you are going through here. Some folks have nothing but time on here and quick to point out what they would do, but in reality, they don’t have the one you are referring about. If you want to paint it purple and green, that’s your business! I think it looks good and you are correct, items that look cleaner and brighter usually sells quicker.

John

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

100+ years of cigar smoke, cooking grease, dust and dirt, rust, worn finishes, scratches, gouges, dents, water marks from plants, burn marks and on and on, are not in my opinion "patina", but rather years of abuse and neglect. The same thing can be said of many members of this forum - who wouldn't want to look 20 again? :? :lol: Maybe your phonograph does too...

Preserve "as is" or "restore"... it's your choice... it's even your choice to make your machine into a bar or paint it blue... whatever you do, you won't be here in a 100 years to find out what actually happened to it. :roll: :cry:
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife