Phonographs in Movies...

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
edisonplayer
Victor IV

Re: Phonographs in Movies...

Post by edisonplayer »

I remember seeing several wind up phonographs on "Hee Haw" used for set decoration.They had a banner front Home,a banner front Standard,both either model A's or B's.In the cabin of Ida Lee and Lavern Nagger there was a junky looking Kimball upright phonograph.I remember telling my late friend Arthur Pare about the Kimball,and that it looked junky.He replied,"It would have to be junky to be on Hee Haw!" :lol: Does anyone remember Hee Haw?
Last edited by edisonplayer on Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:11 am, edited 3 times in total.

Springmotor70
Victor I
Personal Text: Everybody Panatrope!

Post by Springmotor70 »

phonogfp wrote::lol:

Yes, and that grown-out roots look was very popular for women in 1885! :lol:

George P.

Hair, Make-up, Clothes...
Are you sure it was not 1985??? :lol:
"I think he was vaccinated with a phonograph needle"
My Old Boss 1923 - 2010

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Watching yesterday chapter 47 of the French series on adventures of Maigret, the Paris judicial police commissar, performed by great actor Bruno Cremer, at 27:20 a scene takes place in an empty ball salon where an hmv 102 it's used to play a tango. Of course the music is superimposed, recorded on the sound band, but when the girl starts the gramophone, the needle scratch and the gaming on the groove noise are authentic, and recorded in the film.

Here's a link

https://youtu.be/0zQJ5YKlhG0

And a still photo, for posterity (if the link disappears)
IMG_20201006_202151.jpg
Inigo

Governor Flyball
Victor II

Post by Governor Flyball »

Here is a 1919 Harold Lloyd film with the opening scene an "any-brand" phonograph and Snub Pollard playing a record on it.
1919 Harold Lloyd Captain Kidd's Kids. on YouTube
https://youtu.be/Qc6wiLF2aWY

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

Ha, ha... Next, at 4:45 he uses the phonograph adding a bit of water poured on the record surface to grind his razor!
Inigo

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Inigo wrote:Ha, ha... Next, at 4:45 he uses the phonograph adding a bit of water poured on the record surface to grind his razor!
I can't find video, but I've seen Lloyd Hamilton use the mandrel of a Puck for the same thing

electrolaman 64
Victor II
Personal Text: Look for the Dog

Re: Phonographs in Movies... 1941 Unholy Partners

Post by electrolaman 64 »

Just spotted this Victor Automatic changer VE9-54 that is either a custom cabinet or just altered for props. It is obvious the top and molding above the doors is correct but all of the doors and the legs are completely different from an original. With the doors open everything is correct inside as far as the changer and radio.

It is always interesting to spot these things. The film is 1941 "Unholy Partners" starring Edward G Robinson.

Carlton Smith
electrolaman 64
Indianapolis, IN
Attachments
IMG_5430.jpg
IMG_5440.jpg
IMG_5439.jpg
IMG_5438.jpg
Carlton Smith
Indianapolis, IN

electrolaman 64

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

I run the risk of repeating myself here--this has been an interesting, multi-page discussion and I'm too tired and lazy to find my previous post in this thread, so please accept my apologies in advance. I really enjoy seeing antique phonographs in movies and TV shows, and it's fun to point out anachronisms and other inaccurate
details, but these things don't take away at all from my enjoyment of the show.

Consider the excellent historical crime drama "Boardwalk Empire." Many machines are shown during the run of the series. The soundtrack was ingenious in that the music really helped the viewer to appreciate the flavor and atmosphere of the time period--and not only that, it was especially helpful in getting many young viewers interested in the music and recordings of that time. There were lots of scenes depicting the machines purportedly playing vintage recordings in the background, as well as era-appropriate performances recorded for the show.

I thoroughly enjoy Boardwalk Empire even with the occasional anachronisms--for example, toward the end of the pilot episode, the gangster character Colissimo is shown all alone in his restaurant in Chicago. His idol, tenor Enrico Caruso, is represented with photos of Caruso on the walls, plus a Victor 6 with the brass flower horn playing Caruso's 1910 recording of the Siciliana from Cavalleria Rusticana, right before the character is gunned down as he listens enraptured, his blood splattered all over the horn and the photos of Caruso on the wall. Technically, the record on the turntable should have been a 10" Victor patents or batwing label, but the record shown on the turntable is a 12" disc with a much later 1930's--1940's era European HMV label. I got a kick out of pointing that out to friends and they would ask "how the hell would you know that ?"

Among the featured machines there were several, including both outside horn and cabinet models. A few examples other than the Victor 6 I referred to, are an oak VTLA in Nucky Thompson's office, a mahogany VV-XVIII in Arnold Rothstein's billiard room, and in another scene during the series, a VV-100 series model (I think, even though it is referred to as a VV-80. There are many others.

It was fun to play "I Spy" while watching the series!

Steven
Last edited by Viva-voce on Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

I'm always excited about that! At home, when they are watching tv and a Gramophone pops up, they always call me, and ask my assessment about it it's a crapo or the real thing...
Inigo

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

Inigo wrote:I'm always excited about that! At home, when they are watching tv and a Gramophone pops up, they always call me, and ask my assessment about it it's a crapo or the real thing...
That's fun!