Columbia 156a viva tonal gramophone

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Re: Columbia 156a viva tonal gramophone

Post by nostalgia »

I am seriously starting to consider splicing the tone arm of the 156A. After checking numerous Columbia portables, and also the 153A floor model, I feel there is a minimal chance of finding a similar Plano Reflex tone arm in the foreseeable future.
The 156A is a model that is hard to find, and if ever finding one, starting to use it as a donor machine is not exactly the best way to secure its existence.

So, I would try to spice the tonearm, by cutting it off at the red line shown on this photo to be able to use the connector that is vital to be able to use the tone arm. It has to be in this area, also before the unnatural bend, even if it possibly/likely would have been better to cut it where the tone arm of the Columbia 100 has been glued ( see photo).

Still, before doing it, I would like some opinions. Do you think it will work, and not break after being glued? I will use two component Gorilla glue, if someone does not have a better suggestion. I will also find someone to cut the tone arms for me who have a precision hacksaw. I plan to use a Plano Reflex tonearm from a scrappy 109A to substitute the tone arm of the 156A.

To finalize the operation, I would like to nickel plate the "new" tone arm to conceal the cut.
Attachments
Possible cut of the tone arm.jpg
Glued Plano Reflex tone arm.jpg

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

What do you intend to do about the autobrake actuating lever attached to the original arm? Getting that fitted to the 109 arm could be a bit tricky, involving drilling and thread tapping!

Barry

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

Hi Barry,
I already had a plan with the autobrake part, unscrew it from the 156A tone arm, and glue it to the new tonearm. Sometimes shortcuts need to be made, and I am hesitant to start drilling in the pot metal tone arm, agree?

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

What else can you do? My wonderful period model very rare Aeolian vocalion tonearm is currently broken, thin pot metal, and I've lost hope on getting a new one, so it works fixed with an ominous jubilee clip retaining the broken part... What to do? I've tried to rebuild it several times in these 25 years without success... That's the only way it works!
Inigo