HMV Model 32 sold today

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture

Daithi
Victor II

Re: HMV Model 32 sold today

Post by Daithi »

soundgen wrote:
Daithi wrote:
Old Country Chemist contributed a reply to this forum today on his topic entitled "NIPPER AND HIS GRAM GOING ON AN AEROPLANE". How can this be?
When I saw it I thought as well Poor Old Alastair until I reread it , doh :oops: Full stop not read !

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated

WE need a cartoon ! :D
I think I need something stronger than a cartoon but there is no one better than the Old Country Chemist to provide one to lighten the mood. This forum provides far too much excitement for me.

HMV130
Victor O

Post by HMV130 »

I was just checking the-saleroom after after having read this topic.

Is this too a colonial HMV Mod. 32? Oddly enough it is branded with the Italian HMV logo "La voce del Padrone".

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auct ... 54011c6122

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

HMV130 wrote:I was just checking the-saleroom after after having read this topic.

Is this too a colonial HMV Mod. 32? Oddly enough it is branded with the Italian HMV logo "La voce del Padrone".

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auct ... 54011c6122
It is a HMV32, but not a ¨colonial¨, unless England invaded Italy at some point in the history of its production. The colonial ones (i.e. made to be sold in India) are made of darkened teak, this looks like oak. It also has a nice wooden HMV horn, differently from the ones sold in England that had tin horns. Certainly not a common model, Italian HMVs (or VDPs) are quite scarce.

HMV130
Victor O

Post by HMV130 »

My mistake. I thought the Mod. 32 was only sold in colonial territories and I was unsure about it being in oak (actually the one that was sold there was the Mod. 31 which was also available in oak).
Last edited by HMV130 on Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Now that's something I really wasn't expecting to see... :shock: I had absolutely no idea that some units of these machines were made for the Italian market. Never seen any on record covers or commercials. Unbelievable.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Marco Gilardetti wrote:Now that's something I really wasn't expecting to see... :shock: I had absolutely no idea that some units of these machines were made for the Italian market. Never seen any on record covers or commercials. Unbelievable.
It is the first one I see as well, Marco. There was a 202 with the Italian logo for sale some years ago, but a 32 with such a badge and horn is indeed a first.

Daithi
Victor II

Post by Daithi »

Marco Gilardetti wrote:which to my eyes sum up all the cons of external horns with all the cons of internal horns with all the cons of portables
Marco if you have the time and inclination, please discuss the cons of external and internal horns and also the cons of portables.
Your perspective is always interesting.
Thanks

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Oh well... Thank you very much, but we were just having fun about my well known idiosyncrasy for this gramophone, the only legit model that looks like a crap-o-phone. :) Indeed, the first time that I saw one, I actually thought that it WAS a crap-o. My ignorance, of course. :D

To my eyes 32s and similar machines are as bulky as external horn gramophones are, but are not even remotely as beautiful and ornated as many European models are, don't feature exponential horns like many internal horn or portable machines, but look instead overall cheaply made and equipped with a non impressive tonearm like many of the latter.

On the other hand I will frankly admit that I've often seen them featuring overkilling four-springs motors, and at least the speartip wooden horn of the Italian unit linked above is absolutely striking (although, again, I see most coming with cheap and uninspiring tin horns).

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

I think this is the beauty of diversity and cultural influence. I like to read your views on the model 32 Marco, but at the same time I just can't help loving my Model 25. When I seriously started to collect gramophones in the summer of 2019, and was lucky to get hold of the HMG book, the model 25 (and 32) immediately caught my attention, and quickly became my dream gramophone. I however had small hopes of ever finding the model for sale, and instead focused on finding other machines.

So when I came across a model 25 this spring, and even got hold of a scrappy model 25 that had the parts ready that needed to be exchanged on my newly purchased machine, this quickly became my biggest, and favorite project, for the summer of 2020.

Now the machine has the best position in my sitting room, and I know that if I ever will need to part with most of my machines, this machine will be the last to go. That's how much I love it.

I love its roughness, the huge 4 spring motor that I to the last screw have disassembled, cleaned, greased and put back into the cabinet, (even using extreme heat to get the main spring axis out (Thank you, Soundgen)), its big black horn, the tone arm. I love every aspect of the machine :clover:

Maybe it is because I myself live in a rough climate, and can identify myself with this killer machine, sensing that it really is a survivor.

Yes, I also have my horn models with ornaments, and more possibly more sophisticated details in manufacture and design,
but, nothing ( in my world) beats the Model 25 :)

That's the beauty of diversity, so yes,.,,I actually enjoy reading your views on these machines Marco, but will of course never agree:)

And that in itself is actually very fascinating, to disagree on this level and still recognize each others love for different gramophone models!
Attachments
Model 25 (1).jpg