Sonora Console - Oak Gothic Polychrome

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
UpstateNYBilly
Victor O
Personal Text: Phonatic

Sonora Console - Oak Gothic Polychrome

Post by UpstateNYBilly »

Hi Everyone
Would anybody have any information on this particular model Sonora? I can't find anything online to indicate the date of manufacture nor any photos that show whether or not this model had a grill cloth in it. I'm assuming it did but I can't be certain.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Bill Daugherty
Attachments
118522030_10223987452742437_1303795820030651842_o.jpg
118558847_10223987451102396_5120450173667396329_o.jpg

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Re: Sonora Console - Oak Gothic Polychrome

Post by AmberolaAndy »

UpstateNYBilly wrote:Hi Everyone
Would anybody have any information on this particular model Sonora? I can't find anything online to indicate the date of manufacture nor any photos that show whether or not this model had a grill cloth in it. I'm assuming it did but I can't be certain.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Bill Daugherty
All I know is you have a really cool and impressive looking machine! :shock: Those Sonora’s with the period design are so cool! And owned by the well to do.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Here's a little more about, if it's helpful to you; viewtopic.php?f=14&t=46553&hilit=+sonora

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

The machine appears to be a Sonora “Period” machine. The Antique Phonograph society has a downloadable book on Sonora. The period machines typically had a grill with no cloth, (examples below). Unless it is hidden somewhere in the cabinet, you will probably have to make your own or have one produced. Lucky for you, it is a flat grill. Good luck.
Attachments
794DE7E1-70E7-44B7-99EE-E1931E1A349E.jpeg
794DE7E1-70E7-44B7-99EE-E1931E1A349E.jpeg (60.32 KiB) Viewed 1886 times
84871F61-0962-4EDB-AC6B-806F5C770D40.jpeg

BillH_NJ
Victor II

Post by BillH_NJ »

Here is my period Chippendale— no cloth, but the wooden grille as above. I hope you can find the correct one for yours.

Bill
Attachments
D629BBE3-3FB9-42D9-ACFC-CE316E6A6DF4.jpeg
D629BBE3-3FB9-42D9-ACFC-CE316E6A6DF4.jpeg (101.77 KiB) Viewed 1789 times
Last edited by BillH_NJ on Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

JerryVan wrote:Here's a little more about, if it's helpful to you; viewtopic.php?f=14&t=46553&hilit=+sonora

It's the same machine in both posts :?
Last edited by soundgen on Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Benjamin_L
Victor III
Personal Text: Honk, honk.

Post by Benjamin_L »

It looks like a variation of the Jacobean. It has the earlier 1916-1918 Sonora tonearm design, but the later electric pickup add-on is making me think more around 1922-1925.

I went through quite a few pages of the talking machine world and didn't see any ads for it.( https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-B ... zoom_xml=0)
Attachments
WM002.jpg

UpstateNYBilly
Victor O
Personal Text: Phonatic

Post by UpstateNYBilly »

Thanks everyone for the help and the replies so far!

I didn't know the cabinet style - now it does indeed appear to be much like the Jacobean model. I have the original bill of sale and it's dated 1918. I'm guessing the pickup was added at a later date.

Wish there was a photo of it with the grill exposed. The wood is pretty enough on the horn itself that it isn't the end of the world if that's what it ends up being, but still it'd be nice to have the machine completed authentically.

I have the Louis XV Deluxe and the Queen Anne as well so this is a nice addition to the collection. And while we're on Sonoras... can anyone help me identify this one? I've had it for years and I've been told it's an Invincible or a Deluxe Baby Grand but I can't find anything on the Internet to support that. Any of you seasoned vets know the answer?

Thanks again for always being so helpful.

Bill
Attachments
Sonora Phono.jpg

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

UpstateNYBilly wrote:Thanks everyone for the help and the replies so far!

I didn't know the cabinet style - now it does indeed appear to be much like the Jacobean model. I have the original bill of sale and it's dated 1918. I'm guessing the pickup was added at a later date.

Wish there was a photo of it with the grill exposed. The wood is pretty enough on the horn itself that it isn't the end of the world if that's what it ends up being, but still it'd be nice to have the machine completed authentically.

I have the Louis XV Deluxe and the Queen Anne as well so this is a nice addition to the collection. And while we're on Sonoras... can anyone help me identify this one? I've had it for years and I've been told it's an Invincible or a Deluxe Baby Grand but I can't find anything on the Internet to support that. Any of you seasoned vets know the answer?

Thanks again for always being so helpful.

Bill

whoa ! we need to see all our your phonographs , please let us have more pictures . the house is OMG by the way :mrgreen:
Attachments
aomg.jpg
aomg.jpg (153.23 KiB) Viewed 1786 times

Pathe Logical
Victor II

Post by Pathe Logical »

Hi Bill,

The upright Sonora you show above has puzzled me since I first saw a picture of it. It has features of both the Invincible and the Supreme. It is not pictured in any of the 15 Sonora machine catalogs I own (I know there are others I have not seen). One of our TMF members sold one through eBay several years ago, and he called it an Invincible, but really had no proof to back up that claim when I inquired.

Very, very nice,
Bob (a Sonora guy)