EMG Colonel YT videos

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

EMG Colonel YT videos

Post by Inigo »

Seriously... Nobody has thought about downloading and preserving the videos made by that man, so to avoid YT closing that account, before they go away, lost forever? Some of these days... You'll miss me, honey...
Inigo

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: EMG Colonel YT videos

Post by epigramophone »

Inigo wrote:Seriously... Nobody has thought about downloading and preserving the videos made by that man, so to avoid YT closing that account, before they go away, lost forever? Some of these days... You'll miss me, honey...
Like their creator, they are best forgotten. Let YouTube consign them to oblivion.

Swing Band Heaven
Victor III

Post by Swing Band Heaven »

epigramophone wrote:
Like their creator, they are best forgotten. Let YouTube consign them to oblivion.

I couldn't agree more.

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Post by Mormon S »

Why? Is there some bad history with the channel owners that I'm unaware of?

Martin

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

(flame suit on & zipped)

The "Colonel" seemed to be a guy who had a lot of social problems--but let's not let the good he did, sharing his music collection with us all, go forgotten.

I personally suspect he may have had some mental troubles. This doesn't make him any less of a human being, and honestly, looking at the comments under the videos, a lot of people really enjoyed his whimsical take on things. No, nobody believed a word of this guy's stuff about living at the Grange and being the Colonel. To me he was a Dickensian supporting character translated into the world of Evelyn Waugh. Of course much of this was made up, but maybe he had a better appreciation of the adventure of day to day.

The videos of him out on his bicycle, wearing that same old unwashed coat all the time, make me suspect he may have been on the autism spectrum. Stilted speech, a desire for sameness in dress, a focused and unrestrained fascination with some specific area of interest, and frequently poor hygiene may be signs of high-functioning autism or other psychological disorders. I hear he was terrible with social stuff--attacked a bunch of people verbally for whatever. His insistence on routine, reluctance to show his face, and other things all could be just him being a jerk, or him dealing with mental stuff. Honestly, reading the blogs that people put up against him, I don't think the CLPGS is as stellar as they think they are either, considering the accusations people made against him too.

The "Colonel" tended to be a troll. Something was wrong there in his life. But maybe let's not let his personal awfulness overshadow some of the good things he brought. There is no place for "cancel culture" in phonograph and record collecting--but there's room for mercy and charity. And the definition of mercy is that it is undeserved.

(Edit, because I prefer to write in drafts, not in single posts)

I do not believe that the sorts of things he was accused of (harassing people, etc) are worth forgetting--but at the same time we should not destroy the memory of his better actions just to obliterate the bad. He doubtless hurt a great number of people and divided English phonograph collecting. But what would be better is if we could find a way to separate the Sturm und Drang from the actually harmless stuff. As I don't know the guy I can't tell how much was good and how much was bad. But before I heard about any of the controversy in the CLPGS I did enjoy listening to his record videos.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:(flame suit on & zipped)

The "Colonel" seemed to be a guy who had a lot of social problems--but let's not let the good he did, sharing his music collection with us all, go forgotten.

I personally suspect he may have had some mental troubles. This doesn't make him any less of a human being, and honestly, looking at the comments under the videos, a lot of people really enjoyed his whimsical take on things. No, nobody believed a word of this guy's stuff about living at the Grange and being the Colonel. To me he was a Dickensian supporting character translated into the world of Evelyn Waugh. Of course much of this was made up, but maybe he had a better appreciation of the adventure of day to day.

The videos of him out on his bicycle, wearing that same old unwashed coat all the time, make me suspect he may have been on the autism spectrum. Stilted speech, a desire for sameness in dress, a focused and unrestrained fascination with some specific area of interest, and frequently poor hygiene may be signs of high-functioning autism or other psychological disorders. I hear he was terrible with social stuff--attacked a bunch of people verbally for whatever. His insistence on routine, reluctance to show his face, and other things all could be just him being a jerk, or him dealing with mental stuff. Honestly, reading the blogs that people put up against him, I don't think the CLPGS is as stellar as they think they are either, considering the accusations people made against him too.

The "Colonel" tended to be a troll. Something was wrong there in his life. But maybe let's not let his personal awfulness overshadow some of the good things he brought. There is no place for "cancel culture" in phonograph and record collecting--but there's room for mercy and charity. And the definition of mercy is that it is undeserved.

(Edit, because I prefer to write in drafts, not in single posts)

I do not believe that the sorts of things he was accused of (harassing people, etc) are worth forgetting--but at the same time we should not destroy the memory of his better actions just to obliterate the bad. He doubtless hurt a great number of people and divided English phonograph collecting. But what would be better is if we could find a way to separate the Sturm und Drang from the actually harmless stuff. As I don't know the guy I can't tell how much was good and how much was bad. But before I heard about any of the controversy in the CLPGS I did enjoy listening to his record videos.
https://stephenpeppiatt.blogspot.com/20 ... troll.html

clevelander
Victor II

Post by clevelander »

As someone who was targetted by Mr. Peppiat for simply being a member of the CLPGS, (Old CLPGS fart being one of the more polite terms) I would rather his memory was quietly put to rest.
Other TMF forum members were insulted to the point where court orders were taken out to stop him.
Various websites he set up were closed down due to his obnoxious,libelous comments.
His name, and any reference to him,was banned on this site.
My opinion is that he should be left in peace.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

But think of future generations of collectors... ! We, among us the offended ones, will be out of this world in some years, and his magnificent collection of videos with original machines, experiments, records and fun... will be lost if we don't pass them along.
(And still I believe we'll have to meet him later at That Place, for God's Mercy!)
I particularly an a member of clpgs, so I'm also insulted... But having not suffered his direct attacks, I am free to enjoy a lot his videos... As many millions are!
I will try to do it myself if I can manage how to download all his stuff before it's too late.. Sorry! :oops:
Inigo

phonosandradios
Victor II
Personal Text: So many audio formats, so little listening time!

Post by phonosandradios »

Can I ask why you think it is about to disappear? I watch other you tube channels where the channel owner has been dead for years - yet it still lives on. I can't believe that this channel won't do the same or do you tube have a cut off point if no new content is posted?
I am interested in all forms of audio media including: gramophones, phonographs, wire recorders, the tefifon, reel to reel tapes, radiograms and radios.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

phonosandradios wrote:Can I ask why you think it is about to disappear? I watch other you tube channels where the channel owner has been dead for years - yet it still lives on. I can't believe that this channel won't do the same or do you tube have a cut off point if no new content is posted?
I think you are correct, as long as there is people watching the videos, the channel is kept active. There is the example of grambar, with videos from the deceased collector Graham. His web site was shut down, but the many you tube videos he posted remain active.