HMV model 102 deluxe

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
HMV130
Victor O

HMV model 102 deluxe

Post by HMV130 »

A few days ago I decided to stop at a flea market whilst I was heading to the Republic of San Marino. Here in Italy flea markets are quite uncommon and oftentimes one can only find plain rubbish on sale. At one of the stands I immediately recognised what was clearly an HMV mod. 102 in brown colour so I asked the vendor if I could inspect it and after opening the lid I was astonished - it was a deluxe mod. 102 in red leather and gilded fittings. Apparently the exterior had been completely painted in brown, most probably a pitiful attempt to improve and hide the usual scuffs and wear of unrestored machines. Nevertheless while trying to hide my excitement I did not miss the chance to play fool and point out the "curious difference of color" and the "strange holes" (some screws and other parts are missing) and I managed to make a really good deal!

The following must be addressed in order to restore the gramophone properly:
  • 1. Remove the brown paint while at the same time not destroy the red leather underneath
    2. Assess the condition of the leather, cleaning it and restore it (probably using white spirit and leather cream to soften it and remove scuffs and marks)
    3. Polish the leather (neutral or dying polish in accordance to final evaluation)
    4. Clean all the gilded fittings
    5. Overhaul as per usual the motor and other mechanical parts
    6. Find missing parts
I did manage to find a way to remove the paint without damaging the thin red leather. Water, alcohol, acetone have virtually no effect on the paint layer so paint stripper is the only option available - I tried it on a concealed part where the original red leather was untouched and surprisingly it happens to be quite resistant to chemicals (it did not suffer alterations in color nor in structure).

Does anyone know how to properly restore the gilded fittings? Being a Mod. 102 they have been sprayed with gild satin varnish (unlike some older HMV models that were equipped with gold plated fittings) so I am not sure if metal polish will affect the finish.

The following is a list of the missing components:
  • 1. Tone arm clip
    2. Four upper bolts (two held in place the tone arm clip)
    3. Four motorboard wooden screws
    4. Four motor bolts (and washers)
    5. One tonearm bolt
    5. Winding handle wooden pommel and retaining clip
    6. Turntable retaining clip
    7. Gilded HMV soundbox (probably 5A or 5B considering the automatic brake rather than the universal brake)
If anyone is in possession of these gilded components (more common nickel or chrome screws are fine too) and is willing to sell them please PM me.

More updates will come once point 1. will be completed.
Attachments
IMG_4294.jpg
IMG_4295.jpg
IMG_4302.jpg
IMG_4347.jpg
IMG_4345.jpg
IMG_4346.jpg

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: HMV model 102 deluxe

Post by epigramophone »

My 102 De Luxe was also a bargain, £50 from a general auction in pre-internet days.

The red leather is paper thin, and nowhere near as durable as red leathercloth. My 102 had small areas of leather completely missing. I filled these areas level with leather restoring paste before treating the exterior of the case with red shoe cream. I then disguised the filled areas with replica luggage labels obtainable on eBay.

Fortunately the interior was in excellent condition, so I have no experience of cleaning the gilded components, but I understand that the gilding is also very thin and easily removed. The soundbox is a 5A and the autobrake is of the later design. Here it is :
Attachments
IMG_2012.JPG

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

Was it only the HMV 102 that came in a De Luxe edition?

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

There was a red-leather-with-gold-hardware version of the 101, as well.

I’ve got one, missing its crank and with sadly faded and scarred (now pink) leather exterior. I tried moving the color back towards red with various shoe creams and leather cleaners, but no luck. It sounds great (I have a crank that works but isn’t gold), so it’s ok as is.

Perhaps someday I’ll send it to Florida to have gold leaf applied to its entire exterior, but in the meantime it looks and sounds great - while open!

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

Not to be outdone, Columbia produced the Model 111GP, a deluxe version of the 112a in brown leather with gilt fittings.
Attachments
111GP.jpg
111GP.jpg (125.97 KiB) Viewed 1907 times

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

Yes, I remember this Columbia 111 GP from photos in earlier threads, a beautiful machine.
Do we know why the guilt HMV 102 was manufactured, I understand also a guilt 101 was manufactured, and both in extreme limited edition copies. If I understand this correctly, we don't know if the different HMV portable models also were manufactured in guilt versions.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

I understand that ammonia cleans gilding, but don't take my word for it!

Barry

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

nostalgia wrote:Yes, I remember this Columbia 111 GP from photos in earlier threads, a beautiful machine.
Do we know why the guilt HMV 102 was manufactured, I understand also a guilt 101 was manufactured, and both in extreme limited edition copies. If I understand this correctly, we don't know if the different HMV portable models also were manufactured in guilt versions.
Red leather was the only available deluxe version of the 101 and 102, although a single brown leather 101 with gilt fittings is pictured in Dave Cooper's book on HMV portables. It is believed to have been a "one off" specially made for a dealer's window display.

The red leather portables were not limited editions. It was their high price that limited their sales, especially of the rarer 102 which was introduced in the height of the great Depression. They offered no acoustic or practical advantages over the basic versions, and few people could afford or justify their considerable extra cost.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

PeterF wrote:There was a red-leather-with-gold-hardware version of the 101, as well.

I’ve got one, missing its crank and with sadly faded and scarred (now pink) leather exterior. I tried moving the color back towards red with various shoe creams and leather cleaners, but no luck. It sounds great (I have a crank that works but isn’t gold), so it’s ok as is.

Perhaps someday I’ll send it to Florida to have gold leaf applied to its entire exterior, but in the meantime it looks and sounds great - while open!
A simple solution would be to repaint it again the correct colour if you took the lid to a car spray paint outlet they could colour match it for you ( £20? ) , then you could paint the base with the fittings out , it would be glossy but you can knock the gloss back with a cutting agent ( T-Cut in the UK )then buff up to match the top

I have seen this done on a red leather HMV 101 where the outside colour was badly degraded and you couldn't tell it had been done :D

HMV130
Victor O

Post by HMV130 »

epigramophone wrote:My 102 De Luxe was also a bargain, £50 from a general auction in pre-internet days.

The red leather is paper thin, and nowhere near as durable as red leathercloth. My 102 had small areas of leather completely missing. I filled these areas level with leather restoring paste before treating the exterior of the case with red shoe cream. I then disguised the filled areas with replica luggage labels obtainable on eBay.

Fortunately the interior was in excellent condition, so I have no experience of cleaning the gilded components, but I understand that the gilding is also very thin and easily removed. The soundbox is a 5A and the autobrake is of the later design. Here it is :
Stunning machine especially with its record tray! I have a Mod. 101 Deluxe in mint condition and it is really marvellous to look at and to touch (these deluxe models being covered in real lather have that little extra over the basic counterparts).
Phono48 wrote:I understand that ammonia cleans gilding, but don't take my word for it!

Barry
Thank you Barry for the suggestion. I tried it and I have to acknowledge that it works quite effectively. It do not removes very dark marks and spots, but reacting chemically with the finish this one appears brighter and more "yellowish". I also obtained good results with silver polish (no generic metal polish). I will let you what I choose to use.