Serial # 102066
Years: 1919-1927
Original Cost: $195.00
Case/Cabinet size: 44 x 19 x 20
Turntable/Mandrel Size: 11 5/8in
Reproducer/Soundbox: Standard Diamond Reproducer
Motor: Single spring
Horn Dimensions: No. 150
Repro Parts: spring for lifting the reproducer, broke the orginal.
Current Value Mint: $295.00
Interesting Facts: Sheraton-Sans Inlay
Favorite Characteristic: My first phonograph

Last edited by Edisonfan on Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neophone
Victor III

Re: Featured Phonograph № 4

Post by Neophone »

Paul,

Thank you for your submission. The S-19 is a very nice phonograph. The 150 horn give a nice sound in a medium sized room. I see I need to add an entry for the motors. The S-19 has a single spring motor (for those who might ask..)

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Post by Edisonfan »

Your Welcome John. There is one thing I should mention, about my machine in particular is, the casters. They were orginally on the machine, however, mine are missing. Apprently the S-19 had brass casters on the feet.

Paul

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Paul,

Do you still have your original 640x480 photo of it?

Also, I wanted to thank you for getting an Edison machine up, so that I can go ahead and start an Edison Featured Phonograph section in the Archives. Thankfully, I have a template for those. :D

That machine definitely looks like a lovely addition to the room in which you have it. Are those Edison posters above the machine?

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Edisonfan
Victor V

Post by Edisonfan »

I do, but I can not post it. I did not realize, when I post this pic, that you could not click on the image? I put this one on the imageshack site, but I was unable to post the image here.

If I recall the images above the machine, at the time this photo was taken. They are not Edison Ads. However, now I do have an Edison Ad above the machine. The TV, was moved into my bedroom, and there is a Combo organ there. Plus I have my Edison Cylinder Machine, next to the DD player.

I will put up a better pic of it soon.

Paul

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Perhaps what Paul was referring to was actually Iron Caster that fit into small squarish brass cups about ¾ inch tall which slide over the bottom end of the legs. I have not looked closely at a Sheraton in a long while but I seem to recall this configuration.

Regards,
Bruce

Edisonfan
Victor V

Post by Edisonfan »

The door tilt's forward, shane.

Bruce, your right. They were iron, in brass cups.

Paul

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Paul,

Since your door is a dropdown I believe this one should also have 3 iron rods in the record cabinet between which you slide 4 books specially designed for Diamond Disc records, 10 records/book. Does it have that? I think about the time they hinged the door on the side and changed the the name from C200 to S19 they started with the individually numbered slots for records.

It seems to me a bit unusual that yours is a C19 yet with a dropdown door, although I'm sure it's totally correct that way.

Bruce

Edisonfan
Victor V

Post by Edisonfan »

Bruce, mine does not have the three rod's, but the individual slots for the records. Mine is an S-19 not a C-19.

Paul

Covah
Victor II

Post by Covah »

Casters are often missing and it can be difficult and expensive to find original replacements. But oldie casters are cheaper than new on eBay. Buy in bulk, replace the whole set so they match. They are standard size. Caster guides that go inside the leg can be bought at a hardware store. No one sees them.

Everyone will laugh and say WTF! Those are not ORIGINAL casters!

It's my worst nightmare. I wake up in sweats.

But you need casters because they lift the cabinet up and give it proper proportion.

That reminds me, I have three nice C-200 casters that I am willing to part with.