German Coin op?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
ts_13
Victor II

German Coin op?

Post by ts_13 »

I know nothing of European machines, but I ran across this cool German coin op. What is the market on these? I know they are not as valuable (over here) as the domestics but what is the value?

Thanks guys
Attachments
german phono3.jpg
german phono2.jpg
german phono1.jpg

CarlosV
Victor IV

Re: German Coin op?

Post by CarlosV »

The machine is missing the coin op mechanism, that carries the arm. People that like the coin-ops like me,when considering incomplete machines to use as part donors, most of the time will be searching the coin mechanism, as owners would remove it and keep using the machine to play records without having to drop coins every time. Without it, I think it will be hard to find collectors interested in it. If you are realy patient you can keep it and wait until you find the replacement carriage mechanism, a task that could take some loooong time.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

..."but what is the value?"
Whatever you paid... :roll: :? That is EXACTLY the "market".
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

ts_13
Victor II

Post by ts_13 »

CarlosV wrote:The machine is missing the coin op mechanism, that carries the arm. People that like the coin-ops like me,when considering incomplete machines to use as part donors, most of the time will be searching the coin mechanism, as owners would remove it and keep using the machine to play records without having to drop coins every time. Without it, I think it will be hard to find collectors interested in it. If you are realy patient you can keep it and wait until you find the replacement carriage mechanism, a task that could take some loooong time.

Thank you, that is what I was looking for. I know nothing about the coin op much less euro coin ops. It is a bit of a drive from me, so I really didnt want to drive if it was incomplete (which you did point out). Thank you again.

ts_13
Victor II

Post by ts_13 »

Curt A wrote:..."but what is the value?"
Whatever you paid... :roll: :? That is EXACTLY the "market".

Curt, I did not buy it yet. I do not know about Euro machines, so I need to find out what they go for (the market). I am glad I checked, I did not realize that it was incomplete.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

ts_13 wrote:
CarlosV wrote:The machine is missing the coin op mechanism, that carries the arm. People that like the coin-ops like me,when considering incomplete machines to use as part donors, most of the time will be searching the coin mechanism, as owners would remove it and keep using the machine to play records without having to drop coins every time. Without it, I think it will be hard to find collectors interested in it. If you are realy patient you can keep it and wait until you find the replacement carriage mechanism, a task that could take some loooong time.

Thank you, that is what I was looking for. I know nothing about the coin op much less euro coin ops. It is a bit of a drive from me, so I really didnt want to drive if it was incomplete (which you did point out). Thank you again.
Since you didn't actually buy it (a good choice), what are "they" asking for it?

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

It's difficult to find coin-op parts for domestic machines, but finding coin-op parts for this would be almost impossible... I flipped the image and it does look like German - einwürt 10 pfg., which I assume means: Insert 10 Pfennigs/10 cents.

If you like it AND it's cheap enough AND you don't mind if the coin-op mechanism doesn't work, it might be worth having as an oddity for display purposes... you can always throw 10 cents into the slot and wind it up to demonstrate...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 10.39.36 AM.png

My Wife

ts_13
Victor II

Post by ts_13 »

Curt A wrote:It's difficult to find coin-op parts for domestic machines, but finding coin-op parts for this would be almost impossible... I flipped the image and it does look like German - einwürt 10 pfg., which I assume means: Insert 10 Pfennigs/10 cents.

If you like it AND it's cheap enough AND you don't mind if the coin-op mechanism doesn't work, it might be worth having as an oddity for display purposes... you can always throw 10 cents into the slot and wind it up to demonstrate...

I agree, honestly I was looking at it for an oddity now I guess. They are asking $350, which I know some euro machines are parts/ put together so I wanted some experts to weigh in! (thank you again). It is several hours from me, and that is the issue. I still think it is neat, but would like the mechanism.

Yall are a big help, I do appreciate the insight.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Honestly, I think $350 is a steal for any outside horn disk machine, let alone a cool rarity like this. If I was offered this, my wife would have to tie me up at home to prevent me from getting it. Anyone can get a Standard Talking Machine for that price, but who has such a coin-op, even if the mechanism isn't there anymore?

Andreas

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

This may be an absolute bargain at 350.

Missing the coin op mechanism? I would challenge that. Yes one is used to see German coin ops like Mammut where there was a lot of hardware under the tonearm screwed to the wood upper deck.

This machine pictured is a Parlophone, and the coin op mechanism is inside the case - so unless one looks properly ??

Because I do not see a brake acting on the turntable I would presume the coin op parts are probably still intact.

The case needs some work.

So if its close enough for you to check, it may be time well invested.

In the attached pic some bits are missing from the motor (like the coin balance), but you can see the bar that goes up where the tonearm is that raises and lowers the arm.

(BTW - the mechanics pictured are not from the machine that is for sale - its just to show approximately what a similar mechanism looks like)
Attachments
parlomotor.jpg
parlomotor.jpg (15.28 KiB) Viewed 1587 times