Skylark- Harry James and his orchestra

Buy, sell, or trade your records, cylinders or other recordings here
dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Skylark- Harry James and his orchestra

Post by dzavracky »

Does anyone have a copy of this record? If you do, let’s work out a trade. Maybe I have something you’d want!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFFGOhT ... =the78prof

Thanks

David

Henry
Victor V

Re: Skylark- Harry James and his orchestra

Post by Henry »

That's a good one, for sure! I have a bunch of Harry James records the I picked up at a local thrift shop years ago for something like 50¢ apiece, but unfortunately Skylark is not among them. Turns out the some local guy was a big Harry James fan, and these records had belonged to him; after his death, his widow put them out for sale at the thrift shop. My wife actually knew the widow, as she was, like my wife, a librarian in the community.

An interesting footnote: Frank Kaderabek, retired principal trumpet of the Philadelphia Orchestra, has said that Harry James was his idol as a kid growing up in Chicagoland. (Just as Tommy Dorsey was so admired by trombone players of all persuasions.)

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Post by dzavracky »

Henry wrote:That's a good one, for sure! I have a bunch of Harry James records the I picked up at a local thrift shop years ago for something like 50¢ apiece, but unfortunately Skylark is not among them. Turns out the some local guy was a big Harry James fan, and these records had belonged to him; after his death, his widow put them out for sale at the thrift shop. My wife actually knew the widow, as she was, like my wife, a librarian in the community.

An interesting footnote: Frank Kaderabek, retired principal trumpet of the Philadelphia Orchestra, has said that Harry James was his idol as a kid growing up in Chicagoland. (Just as Tommy Dorsey was so admired by trombone players of all persuasions.)

It is a lovely record. We are learning the tune in my small jazz ensemble and my professor wanted us to listen to Harry James version. I looked through what Harry James I had and couldnt find it :(

Thanks for the info about Frank Kaderabek!

David

JPow
Victor O

Post by JPow »

There appears to be one on eBay. Not sure about the condition

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Columbia-Skyla ... Swm~lfbZZu