Wanted- Columbia 1694-D Rose Of Mandalay- Ipana Troubadours

Buy, sell, or trade your records, cylinders or other recordings here
electrolaman 64
Victor II
Personal Text: Look for the Dog

Wanted- Columbia 1694-D Rose Of Mandalay- Ipana Troubadours

Post by electrolaman 64 »

Wanted- Columbia 1694-D Rose Of Mandalay- Ipana Troubadours. Looking for a good E clean copy.

Please email or PM me if you have this record you would sell.

Thanks!

Carlton Smith
electrolaman 64
Indianapolis, IN
Carlton Smith
Indianapolis, IN

electrolaman 64

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: Wanted- Columbia 1694-D Rose Of Mandalay- Ipana Troubad

Post by gramophone-georg »

PM sent with some info.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

pallophotophone
Victor II

Post by pallophotophone »

electrolaman 64 wrote:Wanted- Columbia 1694-D Rose Of Mandalay- Ipana Troubadours. Looking for a good E clean copy.

Please email or PM me if you have this record you would sell.

Thanks!

Carlton Smith
electrolaman 64
Indianapolis, IN
With a vocal refrain by Bing Crosby ! Very Good !

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

https://youtu.be/DbocxPDebQk
I adored Bing Crosby since I first listened to his 1940s recordings, when I was 13. My father brought home grandpa's records to copy them on reel tapes, and there was when the bug bit me and I fell in love with 78s forever. Thanks dad he did that, for the records later went to my faraway cousins and I never saw them again!
Just imagine my surprise when later I discovered the voice of younger Bing when he was only 27... That was one of the records, a1947 Spanish pressing of the 1931 hit Out Of Nowhere...! I love his baritone, somewhat raspy voice when young. This Rose of Mandalay is another good example. Fabulous!
Inigo

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

Inigo wrote:https://youtu.be/DbocxPDebQk
I adored Bing Crosby since I first listened to his 1940s recordings, when I was 13. My father brought home grandpa's records to copy them on reel tapes, and there was when the bug bit me and I fell in love with 78s forever. Thanks dad he did that, for the records later went to my faraway cousins and I never saw them again!
Just imagine my surprise when later I discovered the voice of younger Bing when he was only 27... That was one of the records, a1947 Spanish pressing of the 1931 hit Out Of Nowhere...! I love his baritone, somewhat raspy voice when young. This Rose of Mandalay is another good example. Fabulous!
He wasn't too shabby as a scat singer, either... and his sides with Gus Arnheim on Victor (I'm Gonna Get You" and "One More Time" come to mind) are really great serious jazz numbers.

Then he became the 'Old Groaner'...

pallophotophone
Victor II

Post by pallophotophone »

gramophone-georg wrote:
Inigo wrote:https://youtu.be/DbocxPDebQk
He wasn't too shabby as a scat singer, either... and his sides with Gus Arnheim on Victor (I'm Gonna Get You" and "One More Time" come to mind) are really great serious jazz numbers.

Then he became the 'Old Groaner'...
Speaking of Bing and Jazz, please hear a copy of "Some Of These Days", anything he recorded with the Mills Brothers and - for my money- any of his records with Dorsey Brothers or Jimmy Dorsey's Orchestra. Although not so jazzy, I like any of his records with George Stoll and Jimmie Grier Orchestras. REALLY !!! Come to think of it, his Decca record (23350) of "There'll Be A Hot Time In The Town of Berlin" and "Is You Is Or Is You Ain't my Baby" with the Andrews Sisters and Vic Schoen and His Orchestra really swings !! So does "Ciribiribin" and "Yodelin' Jive" with the Andrews Sisters and Joe Venuti and His Orchestra.

A Story: A local radio station- WOLF- once had the largest collection of Bing's records in the state. When their 78's were "disposed of" the stations' filing cabinets had their 78's intermingled and the individual 4 drawer cabinets were sold off. I discovered one of them and bought it en mass from the owner. WOLF took very good care of their stock in trade, and never used worn out needles or bad equipment so the records are all in almost new condition. Some of the WOLF records still turn up- in still very good condition if they haven't been abused. Many years later, I was gifted another collection of 78's with lots of later Bing. From WSYR radio. Many pressed in very quiet vinyl as DJ copies. The WOLF records are all in shellac. I digress.... sorry!

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

Yes, I am a Dorsey Brothers completist and Bing's few sides with the DB are fabulous- and who can forget "Sweet Georgia Brown" with Isham Jones' great Depression era band?

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

About the groaner era, I love some songs of the late thirties and early forties... Some are really good. Songs like More and More, I promise you, one sweet letter from you, summertime, with Matt Malneck... Many of his songs accompanied by John Scott Trotter orch have very nice arrangements. I have near 500 bing 78s so my opinion may be somewhat partial... :oops:
I love his recordings with the sisters, among them jingle bells and Santa is coming to town.... This last one I find pretty jazzy and toe-tapping... It's also Vic Schoen orch, which to my taste was very good. Who was the piano player by these times? I'm also reminding The Booglie Wooglie Piggy and The Nickel Serenade, by the sisters with Vic's orch... Very good!
Inigo