Mica Diaphragm Assistance

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
pellicano1
Victor II
Personal Text: The Phonograph Stop

Mica Diaphragm Assistance

Post by pellicano1 »

I recently acquired some odd sized mica diaphragms. Is there a way to cut to size? If so what is the process without damaging the edges?

Thanks everyone!
Attachments
1029.jpg
1029.jpg (9.95 KiB) Viewed 2226 times
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison

pellicano1
Victor II

Re: Mica Diaphragm Assistance

Post by pellicano1 »

Anyone??
Thomas A. Edison

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

it's very difficult as mica is very hard in the flat plane but cleaves easily in the horizontal plane , but you can try using a compass ( Drawing tool ) by placing a steel needle in the "drawing" side and going round and round till you go through the entire mica it does work and the mica is OK to use even if the edge isn't perfect
Attachments
acompass.jpg
acompass.jpg (24.91 KiB) Viewed 2132 times

pellicano1
Victor II

Post by pellicano1 »

soundgen wrote:it's very difficult as mica is very hard in the flat plane but cleaves easily in the horizontal plane , but you can try using a compass ( Drawing tool ) by placing a steel needle in the "drawing" side and going round and round till you go through the entire mica it does work and the mica is OK to use even if the edge isn't perfect
Thanks for the info!!
Thomas A. Edison

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Soundgen's note reminded me that you can buy compasses fitted with blades. I have one I bought decades ago, it is Japanese and I used it to cut paper circles. The blade is replaceable and of high quality, so I would think it will be effective to cut mica, but I never tried to do so. You can find these if you look for origami tools.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

CarlosV wrote:Soundgen's note reminded me that you can buy compasses fitted with blades. I have one I bought decades ago, it is Japanese and I used it to cut paper circles. The blade is replaceable and of high quality, so I would think it will be effective to cut mica, but I never tried to do so. You can find these if you look for origami tools.
like this I guess , be great to know if it works on mica

https://www.graphicsdirect.co.uk/produc ... gI6uPD_BwE

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Oooops, reiterated!
Last edited by Inigo on Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Inigo

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Mmm i don't like mica diaphragms with peeled borders... i like'em with perfect borders...
I thinnnnk they must clinnnnk clear as a bell when dropped on a hard surface by the edge, just 1" fall on the table from your fingertips... That reveals the sound it will have when reproducing. The higher and cleaner the clinnnnk , the better it will sound.
You can call me maniac! :D
Inigo

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

If you can find a compass similar to the one pictured by Soundgen, you can place an Exacto knife in it instead of a pen or pencil, which will definitely cut mica. Also, if you place the mica on a flat surface with a piece of double sided tape below, it will keep it from spinning when cutting. Covering the edges with Scotch tape before cutting may stop the edges from fraying during cutting. Some people have also used a compass to draw a new cutting line and then cut it with very sharp scissors and it supposedly works fine.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Ahmed
Victor I

Post by Ahmed »

I've tried this recently using a cutter compass, and even though I was using a new sharp blade, the end result was heavilydelaminated around the edges. The blade was cutting the mica one layer at a time, rather than going through it all at once.

A good stopgap measure, but best to find a diaphragm that's the right size and spare yourself the hassle