Unusual Edison Diamond Disk Diaphragm

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
EarlH
Victor III

Unusual Edison Diamond Disk Diaphragm

Post by EarlH »

I bought an Edisonic machine a couple of years ago and finally decided to go through the reproducer today. It came with a standard reproducer and an Edisonic as well. I had one I could use on the machine, so I didn't really feel like getting into that one back when I bought it, so I left it alone. A couple of weeks ago I bought a 3-C long play machine, so I figured I should go through it now and this is the diaphragm that's in it. I've never seen one quite like this, but I'm guessing some of you have. It does not sound bad, but it does kind of make me wonder what they thought the change would do at the factory. That reddish paper around it seems to be a little thicker than usual but other than that, I really haven't any thought's about it.

Well, I know you guys like to see oddities and maybe this one isn't as unusual as it seems to me. Take care now, Earl
Attachments
DSC01343.JPG
DSC01340.JPG

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Re: Unusual Edison Diamond Disk Diaphragm

Post by marcapra »

I think that is a Long Play reproducer there, right? I think I've seen Edison diaphragms like that before. Marc.

EarlH
Victor III

Post by EarlH »

It's just a standard reproducer. For whatever reason, that machine had both a standard and an Edisonic reproducer with it. I haven't done anything with that Edisonic reproducer as I really don't like using them. This one had rock hard gaskets in it, so if something was changed around in it, they did it a long time ago.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Earl, I still use a couple of reproducers with your old True Tone foam diaphragm and they play great!

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

Probably shouldn't reply if I don't know anything for sure, but the construction just doesn't look like something the factory would have done. The cork isn't finished looking as they were and the center extra cork is mounted off center. Makes me think its someones very good attempt at creating an original looking one. I picked up a couple new versions of the old diaphragm when I was seeking decent sound before I got to the True Tone design. The looked sort of nice but the sound was just flat without much excitement. I thought too that when Edison went out of business they had some metal replacements should someone need one but not the complicated to make original styles any longer.. Now that I am retired from making the True Tones for the most part. The new Diaphragm from Mike B, (Phonoboy) on here, is rather much like the original with a couple minor changes and the sound is quite good. I had put up some you tube videos of his latest work on my Acousticedison site a month or so ago. There is a link also somewhere in the "RECORDS", part of this group.

Hope everyone is staying safe. I sure see a lot of people out who are ignoring the current health scare. Unfortunately I have seen several whom didn't think it would effect them and it did.

Larry