Explorer E.H. Shackleton - on Edison cylinder record rare

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
edisonplayer
Victor IV

Re: Explorer E.H. Shackleton - on Edison cylinder record rar

Post by edisonplayer »

My late friend Arthur Pare had a copy of this record that he sold in one of his record auctions. The man who bought it was afraid to play it so Arthur enclosed a cassette tape copy along with the cylinder. Arthur sold it for much less than $10,000. edisonplayer

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

edisonplayer wrote: My late friend Arthur Pare had a copy of this record that he sold in one of his record auctions. The man who bought it was afraid to play it so Arthur enclosed a cassette tape copy along with the cylinder.
The man who purchased this cylinder from Arthur Pare in one of his record auctions back in the 1990's was me. I actually did play the cylinder once and posted the video of it playing here:

(Double-click the video above or click this link to go to the video on YouTube.)

Mine has the original titled lid and original box.

My respect and admiration for Ernest Shackleton cannot be described in words. The man was an outstanding, selfless leader who always put the needs of his men well ahead of his own. The terrible conditions that he and his men lived through on this expedition are without equal. I've purchased and watched every documentary I can get my hands on featuring Shackleton. He was an incredible human being.

Doug
Last edited by FellowCollector on Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:59 am, edited 3 times in total.

Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Post by Edisonfan »

Thank you for sharing this!

I had never heard of Shackleton, until Kenneth Branagh had started in a TV movie about the explorer. In 2002.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

FellowCollector wrote:
edisonplayer wrote: My late friend Arthur Pare had a copy of this record that he sold in one of his record auctions. The man who bought it was afraid to play it so Arthur enclosed a cassette tape copy along with the cylinder.
The man who purchased this cylinder from Arthur Pare in one of his record auctions back in the 1990's was me. I actually did play the cylinder once and posted the video of it playing here:

(Double-click the video above or click this link to go to the video on YouTube.)

Mine has the original titled lid and original box.

My respect and admiration for Ernest Shackleton cannot be described in words. The man was an outstanding, selfless leader who always put the needs of his men well ahead of his own. The terrible conditions that he and his men lived through on this expedition are without equal. I've purchased and watched every documentary I can get my hands on featuring Shackleton. He was an incredible human being.

Doug
Agreed!

I read Shackleton's own account of the ordeal a few years ago. It's one the books/stories that sticks with me.

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

you can hear it here before you buy as well !

http://cylinders.library.ucsb.edu/searc ... ition&nq=1

And one sold last year for £350 !
Attachments
ashack.JPG

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

Edisonfan wrote:Thank you for sharing this!

I had never heard of Shackleton, until Kenneth Branagh had started in a TV movie about the explorer. In 2002.
Never heard of Shackleton ? you must have lead a very sheltered life !

Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Post by Edisonfan »

Yes!

Although I had heard of Roland Amundsen, and Robert Peary. Robert Scott I learned about from a College Play I worked on.

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

So,Doug it was YOU who bought the Shackleton Amberol from Arthur?I forgot who. Gary(edisonplayer).