How do you store your records?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
maginter
Victor II

How do you store your records?

Post by maginter »

Hi All -

Hopefully, this isn't to far off on this forum. I have a bunch of records that I have sorted out by label and have on a large set of shelves. I has several in plastic Magazine holders, but now that I go to purchase more, they have shortened the depth down to 9-½ inches from the original 10-½ inches. I have about 700 records that I would like to organize. I know there are cardboard versions, but with the weight and handling of the records, I fear they will not last long.

Appreciate your feedback!

Thanks!

Mark
"The present is theirs; the future, for which I really worked, is mine."
Nikola Tesla

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: How do you store your records?

Post by Inigo »

I believe there has been some threads about that issue.. you can search in the forum for these topics to gain some previous feedback..
Inigo

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Inigo wrote:I believe there has been some threads about that issue.. you can search in the forum for these topics to gain some previous feedback..
Unlike some message boards, we don’t bite if you bump a thread that’s a few years old.

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

That's easily said, but not done... I clearly remember participating in another "how do you store" thread, and I also clearly remember posting pictures and receiving comments, but I can't retreive the thread whatever I try. So I'm just plain reposting here, with pardon.

At least for the records that I don't want to risk getting broken in albums, I craft wooden boxes as in pictures. The top lid is hinged but can be removed completely. There is a hinged front flap, and also the front bottom panel is hinged and can be tilted a bit forward in order to facilitate browsing through the records. All boards are padded with moquette.
Attachments
IMG_3719.JPG
IMG_3720.JPG
IMG_3721.JPG
IMG_3722.JPG

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

About the records themselves, I adopted an idea which is not mine, but that I've first seen deployed by a sir at a records' market. I think I remember that also Carlos and perhaps other members here do the same.

The record is placed inside a fresh new cardboard cover, and the "vintage" sleeve is leaned on top of it. Then this "sandwich" is placed inside a polypropilene transparent sleeve. The effect is nice, as the record appears to be inside its original sleeve, but instead it's safely protected inside the new cardboard sleeve, and it can be extracted from the top without removing anything from the poly sleeve. In turn, the poly sleeve protects the whole thing and it's nearly impossible to rip the sleeve by filing or extracting records to and from the cases.
Attachments
IMG_20180730_2022316.jpg
IMG_20180730_2021328.jpg

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

AmberolaAndy wrote:
Inigo wrote:I believe there has been some threads about that issue.. you can search in the forum for these topics to gain some previous feedback..
Unlike some message boards, we don’t bite if you bump a thread that’s a few years old.
That's a really nice box!

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

AmberolaAndy wrote:
Ah! If I could remember where is it.... I'd added a link 8-)
Inigo