Picnic Gramophone With A Difference !

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
poodling around
Victor V

Re: Picnic Gramophone With A Difference !

Post by poodling around »

Well, it sold for £ 231.

I hope someone on here got it so we can gain a bit more information about it.

SteveM
Victor II

Post by SteveM »

SOMEWHERE on YouTube there is a video of this machine ... it's on one of those trendy lifestyle "you'll never believe the pretty thing that's inside this box" type of channel. I'm digging deep, but not finding it. It had tons of views ... from maybe a couple years ago, in the UK I'm pretty sure.
“The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness.”

P. G. Wodehouse

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG7-QF0lcMU -- starting at about 19:25 until 22:30.

SteveM
Victor II

Post by SteveM »

TinfoilPhono wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG7-QF0lcMU -- starting at about 19:25 until 22:30.
Yes thanks! That's what I was thinking of.
“The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness.”

P. G. Wodehouse

SteveM
Victor II

Post by SteveM »

Here, too! I guess she obviously loves her picnic gramophone.

(Double-click the video above or click this link to watch the video on YouTube in HD.)

P. G. Wodehouse

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

Thank you for the videos.
The picnic gramophone was delivered to a friend in the UK. No idea when I will next be able to travel internationally but at least it's safe and I am told it has already been used.
Some of the Bandalasta is marked with patent numbers and the gramophone looks like a generic Columbia with what looks like a Songster soundbox.
Here also is a link to an excellent Bandalasta website.
http://www.applecroft.co.uk/bandalasta/picnic.htm
Attachments
picnic.jpg

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

Here it is, finally.
It needs a bit of work on it. I've cleaned the rexine and serviced the motor.
I've never worked with Rexine before so am not too sure what I am doing. I'm going for a simple clean and polish with a thin light wax.
A few questions hoping some of you experts can give me advice.
  • The lid and back have been water damaged. Half of the cream papered cardboard lining inside the lid is warped and the timber lid is disjointed and soft. The Rexine on the outside of the lid is intact but has totally lifted from the damaged wood. I was thinking of soaking the cardboard, flattening and drying it with an iron. To strengthen the lid, perhaps line it with a 3mm plywood sheet?. Will the lifted Rexine stick back onto the wood with heat from an iron?
  • There are no lid stays to keep the lid from falling shut. How did these hinges work as stays? I scratched out some worn out tired felt from the bottom of the hinge. I'm assuming the felt in the hinge somehow gave the lid some sort of buffer so as to stop it slamming shut. Any ideas as to what type and shape of felt?
  • Anyone know where I can find a replacement handle.
Details:
  • 160x420x660cm
  • It weighs 12.2kg. Hardly portable
  • The Bandalasta is marked with a strange logo, no makers name
  • The label says: REGD No127. Model Pic Gram
  • The cool collapsible cups are by George Grose Ltd
Attachments
Picnic 127-1.jpg
Picnic 127-2.jpg
Picnic 127-3.jpg
Picnic 127-4.jpg
Picnic 127-6.jpg
Picnic 127-7.jpg
Picnic 127-8.jpg
Picnic 127-11.jpg
Picnic 127-15.jpg
Picnic 127-16.jpg

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

The paper label on the motor board tells us that the gramophone is by Decca. The model is shown as "Pic Gram" which proves that the ensemble is 100% original. I have never seen this model in any Decca advertisement, so it was possibly a limited edition available to order.

To clean Rexine I use a car upholstery cleaner applied neat with a damp (not wet) cloth. After a couple of minutes I wipe it off with as many clean damp cloths are required, and when no more dirt is removed I dry the case with an old tea towel.
It is important not to let the case covering remain damp for long, otherwise the glue may fail and it may start to lift.

Covid and the seller's reluctance to post the machine prevented me from buying it. It would have been the perfect accessory to take to classic car events with my dark green Rover, but now my Green HMV102 will have to suffice.
Attachments
Andy Simm 2018 - Rover 2.jpg
Last edited by epigramophone on Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

I was the underbidder on this. Had it not been collection only I would have risked more. I knew it was made by Decca as the hardware was obviously from the same stable and I collect Decca. I've been kicking myself ever since!

chunnybh
Victor III

Post by chunnybh »

Decca!
The one in the video has the same soundbox but a different picnic set so they must have built a few of these.
All of the Bandalasta I have seen or heard off is marked with the name. Except this set which only has the Made in England mark and that very unusual logo. Does anyone recognize it?

Does anyone have a clue on how the hinges work as stays? I can't really use it without risking the lid falling shut on the soundbox.

Very nice Rover. Not comparing but mine was a Triumph Herald convertible in British racing-car green. I wish I could remember where I parked it in 1989.