Rebuilding a columbia reproducer

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Anna-marie Berliner
Victor Jr

Rebuilding a columbia reproducer

Post by Anna-marie Berliner »

Recently I got a columbia model q off of eBay, and when it arrived i found that there was a thumbtack glued to the diaphragm instead of a real stylus! It said nothing about that in the description so that was disappointing. Where to i find the parts to rebuild these reproducers?

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Rebuilding a columbia reproducer

Post by Curt A »

If you paid with PayPal, dispute this purchase and see if the seller will reduce the price to compensate for the fraudulent description, so it could be repaired properly.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Rebuilding a columbia reproducer

Post by phonogfp »

The transaction certainly should be renegotiated with the seller in light of the necessary reproducer repair. Hopefully the seller will be reasonable.

A new diaphragm (if necessary), gaskets, and sapphire stylus can be purchased reasonably from:

Ron Sitko
56 Church Hill Road.
Waterford NY 12188
Telephone (518) 371-8549
Hours: 7PM-10PM EST

Ron closes shop from Thanksgiving through the New Year, so don't hesitate if you want to have it fixed up anytime soon.

Good luck - -

George P.