Is this an Excelsior Phonograph?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
zapper
Victor II

Is this an Excelsior Phonograph?

Post by zapper »

Trying to date and check whether this phonograph is an Excelsior make. It has no physical markings on the bedplate or case.
Any help, catalogue references, dates would be appreciated.
Thanks
Attachments
IMGP4370.JPG
IMGP4352.JPG
IMGP4358.JPG

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Is this an Excelsior Phonograph?

Post by gramophoneshane »

It looks to have more in common with Thorens phonographs than Excelsiors, but I'm certainly no expert or even very experienced with either brand of machine.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Excelsiorwerke Coln (EWC) are known to have manufactured machines for other companies, including Waterfield, Clifford & Co of Hatton Garden, London whose brand name was New Century.
The model XIV pictured in their 1903/4 catalogue looks not unlike your machine.
Attachments
Image.jpg

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

The upright endplate (no idea of it's actual name) on the machine posted above has 3 decorative cut-out slots in it.
This was also a feature on many Thorens phonographs, except they seem to only have 2 slots.
From what I can see on the net, Excelsiors don't have slots in the endplates at all.

The phonograph above to my eyes seems to have a few other features very similar to Thorens machines, so I'm wondering if Thorens ever manufactured phonographs for other companies in a similar way they did for other gramophone companies, or if
like many smaller European companies, they simply copied someone else's basic design with slight variations?

Something the OP machine has that Thorens DONT seem to have is the nickelled cover over the motor gears.
Thorens machines looks to have left the motor gears and spring open with no cover.

If that "No Edison" website is still in existence, they had information and pictures of dozens and dozens of European phonographs, so perhaps some time searching through the machines there could reveal what this phonograph is.