poodling around
Victor V

Re: Interesting gramophone

Post by poodling around »

epigramophone wrote:
poodling around wrote:
Inigo wrote:
Screenshot_2020-11-20-11-58-43-920_com.android.chrome.jpg
The pity is that the tonearm seems not in correspondence with the machine, and falls short! Maybe the whole support, tonearm etc come from a different machine
Ah. Now, that's a really good observation.

I wish I had noticed that !
The back bracket is either loose on it's mountings or has been bent backwards. When fitted at the correct angle, the tracking alignment will be improved.
Oh, I hadn't thought of that either !

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

Poodling Aound , as Soundgen has pointed out , the Parlophone trade-mark cast into the motor plate is the giveaway -- you should have noticed that as its a well known trade-mark that was used on Parlophone records for years. To be absolutely correct ,when used on machines it was a trade=mark of the Carl Lindstrom A. G. who at the time owned the trade -mark. Another observation for those of us who have had plenty of horn gramophones through their hands is the configuration of the motor with the speed control rod protruding the cabinet panel which tells us the motor is not of the best design or quality -- vertical governors which are nearly always noisy when found . These Carl Lindstrom made machines must have been imported in their tens of thousands as they frequently turn up in auctions etc -- with variations in case ornamentation .They were definitely aimed at the cheaper end of the market when new. I have bought and sold several of them over the years -- but am always wary of the fact that the motors often give trouble due to wear and tear . Another " favourite " with these is broken governor springs and missing governor weights. Probably a result of inexperienced hands or children turning the speed control knob to an extent where the motor is running so fast that the governor springs break. .The underside base boards are also often missing due to having been removed by previous owners either because of woodworm infestation or the fact that the bottom board had to be removed in these cheaper made machines , every time access to the motor was needed -- so it was easier just to leave it off !! Regards Dulcetto

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

This makes it even more surprising that, with five days to go, the thing has 23 bids and stands at £134. Are we all missing something?

A combination of poor photography and ageing eyesight prevented me from identifying the motor.

poodling around
Victor V

Dulcetto wrote:Poodling Aound , as Soundgen has pointed out , the Parlophone trade-mark cast into the motor plate is the giveaway -- you should have noticed that as its a well known trade-mark that was used on Parlophone records for years. To be absolutely correct ,when used on machines it was a trade=mark of the Carl Lindstrom A. G. who at the time owned the trade -mark. Another observation for those of us who have had plenty of horn gramophones through their hands is the configuration of the motor with the speed control rod protruding the cabinet panel which tells us the motor is not of the best design or quality -- vertical governors which are nearly always noisy when found . These Carl Lindstrom made machines must have been imported in their tens of thousands as they frequently turn up in auctions etc -- with variations in case ornamentation .They were definitely aimed at the cheaper end of the market when new. I have bought and sold several of them over the years -- but am always wary of the fact that the motors often give trouble due to wear and tear . Another " favourite " with these is broken governor springs and missing governor weights. Probably a result of inexperienced hands or children turning the speed control knob to an extent where the motor is running so fast that the governor springs break. .The underside base boards are also often missing due to having been removed by previous owners either because of woodworm infestation or the fact that the bottom board had to be removed in these cheaper made machines , every time access to the motor was needed -- so it was easier just to leave it off !! Regards Dulcetto
Great information ! Thanks Dulcetto.

poodling around
Victor V

epigramophone wrote:This makes it even more surprising that, with five days to go, the thing has 23 bids and stands at £134. Are we all missing something?

A combination of poor photography and ageing eyesight prevented me from identifying the motor.

I wonder how much more it will eventually cost.

There seems to be something like a small, round fridge magnet attached to the front metal decoration.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Ah, yes! What could it be?
Inigo

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

Inigo wrote:Ah, yes! What could it be?

Doh :lol: SPEED CONTROL

poodling around
Victor V

soundgen wrote:
Inigo wrote:Ah, yes! What could it be?

Doh :lol: SPEED CONTROL

Aha ! Thanks soundgen.

It just looks a bit out of place there maybe - around the decorative bit. Making the whole thing look asymmetrical ?

Anyway, good to know !