Meltrope III ball bearing size

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
contessa
Victor Jr

Meltrope III ball bearing size

Post by contessa »

I had purchased a Meltrope III from a seller who claimed it to be in perfect condition, but unfortunately it wasn't.

After fiddling with the bent fulcrum and diaphragm, removing all the paste that covered the needle bar mechanism, I have found out that all the 4 ball bearings that should be placed in the needle bar assembly are missing!

Even though there are sellers offering replacemwnts, I find the price rather irrational, especially for it should be shipped all the way fron England to where I live...

I would greatly appreciate if anyone could provide the sizes of ball bearings that a Meltrope III takes.

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Re: Meltrope III ball bearing size

Post by chunnybh »

There are two sizes. The ones in the body are 2.4mm or 3/32". The ones on the cover plate are 1.8mm or 5/64".

contessa
Victor Jr

Post by contessa »

chunnybh wrote:There are two sizes. The ones in the body are 2.4mm or 3/32". The ones on the cover plate are 1.8mm or 5/64".
problem solved...

Thank you very much!

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Chunny, and all... Just a question.
In my Meltrope I found the balls as you've said. But this arrangement in my example made the needlebar to rest at an angle non perpendicular to the record, the diaphragm begin vertical. The needlebar seemed to protrude too much off the sbx body. I found it better to change, the smaller balls at the sbx body and the larger ones under the cover. Then the needlebar angle is right... (In my example).
Inigo

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

Inigo wrote:Chunny, and all... Just a question.
In my Meltrope I found the balls as you've said. But this arrangement in my example made the needlebar to rest at an angle non perpendicular to the record, the diaphragm begin vertical. The needlebar seemed to protrude too much off the sbx body. I found it better to change, the smaller balls at the sbx body and the larger ones under the cover. Then the needlebar angle is right... (In my example).
the thick ones are in the body and thin in the cover no doubt :geek: your needle bar or diaphragm must be a problem

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

Maybe it was deformed in some way... But I swear it doesn't look deformed at all!
It was very strange... I want to remember that even the large balls were pretty difficult to extract from the body. All that together, I decided at some point to try smaller balls in the body holes, and they were logically easier to take out, and produced a better angle to the needlebar... but then they rattled unless you press the cover pretty strong. No like. I don't know just now what I finally did... But in the end I managed to get it right, although the needle angle is still a bit skewed towards the record edge, which I correct installing the sbx a bit skewed too, benefiting from the adjustable rubber connector. I also padded with felt the nicks in the cover that press the small balls on the needlebar plate, so I can adjust it to a lighter pressure without rattling. This gives still a bit more compliance to the needlebar support. It sounds very good, although still I notice a certain lack of treble when compared to a week restored 5a or 5b.
Ah, and I forgot it... Just checked it, and see that I finally decided to install the diaphragm in reverse, it is, the needlebar goes to the peak of a dome, instead of the bottom of a cup! This finally corrected the angle!
Inigo

contessa
Victor Jr

Post by contessa »

Inigo wrote:Maybe it was deformed in some way... But I swear it doesn't look deformed at all!
It was very strange... I want to remember that even the large balls were pretty difficult to extract from the body. All that together, I decided at some point to try smaller balls in the body holes, and they were logically easier to take out, and produced a better angle to the needlebar... but then they rattled unless you press the cover pretty strong. No like. I don't know just now what I finally did... But in the end I managed to get it right, although the needle angle is still a bit skewed towards the record edge, which I correct installing the sbx a bit skewed too, benefiting from the adjustable rubber connector. I also padded with felt the nicks in the cover that press the small balls on the needlebar plate, so I can adjust it to a lighter pressure without rattling. This gives still a bit more compliance to the needlebar support. It sounds very good, although still I notice a certain lack of treble when compared to a week restored 5a or 5b.
Ah, and I forgot it... Just checked it, and see that I finally decided to install the diaphragm in reverse, it is, the needlebar goes to the peak of a dome, instead of the bottom of a cup! This finally corrected the angle!
Impressive story... Does the treble all sound nice now?

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

No, same as before... Great deep warm sound, but a little 'tubby' as if the size of the air chamber was inadequate... The treble is not crispy at all! I must do more trials, with different needles.
Inigo

contessa
Victor Jr

Post by contessa »

chunnybh wrote:There are two sizes. The ones in the body are 2.4mm or 3/32". The ones on the cover plate are 1.8mm or 5/64".
Chunny,

Just one more question please...

3/32" and 5/64" equals to 2.381mm and 1.984mm, therefore showing some difference with the measurements you provided in metric scale.

Were bearings produced in imperial and metric scale both used in the factory?