Playing 78’s on my modern turntable

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
donniej
Victor III

Re: Playing 78’s on my modern turntable

Post by donniej »

The Ortofon OM carts are a great value for playing Diamond Discs (~$50 - $70, new with stylus). They sound good with their "DJ S" stylus (I use a custom stylus for Pathés). I don't believe I rewired the cart for playing verticals but the turntable is plugged into a mixer with a mono switch. The mixer is a fairly inexpensive DJ type, Numark M6 and it has USB output for direct digital recording. Here's a short video to demonstrate the setup I described, most of the videos on my YouTube channel playing DD's use this same setup.

https://youtu.be/TUoCJHKnkLs

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

BillH_NJ wrote: It isn’t the perfect solution, but you can also add an Esoteric Sound Re-equalizer
I have the Esoteric Re-EQ III which I think is nice unit, well built and sonically transparent when switched in, which I ascertain when playing early mono LP's through it.

Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Post by Edisonfan »

:oops:
Last edited by Edisonfan on Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

Edisonfan wrote:I did not expect all this when I posted this thread and video? I was merely trying too say that I having been playing records on my modern turntable instead of my Victrola . I am not looking for advice, or recommendations. I am okay with using my iPhone and SHURE microphone. Which has special audio software that I had too download in order too use the mic. If I had wanted advice, I would have asked for it, but I didn’t. Sorry for sounding annoyed, but I am.

All I wanted was hey that’s a cool idea!
Don't be annoyed :D Be pleased :D Your innocent post has resulted in lots of good vibes :ugeek:

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Edisonfan wrote:I did not expect all this when I posted this thread and video? I was merely trying too say that I having been playing records on my modern turntable instead of my Victrola . I am not looking for advice, or recommendations. I am okay with using my iPhone and SHURE microphone. Which has special audio software that I had too download in order too use the mic. If I had wanted advice, I would have asked for it, but I didn’t. Sorry for sounding annoyed, but I am.

Awe, that's too bad that people are trying be helpful and supportive. Your lack of appreciation for their attention and polite suggestions is what annoys me. Recall for a moment, the sympathy and support you received here when you announced that you once again lost your job!
Last edited by JerryVan on Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

JerryVan wrote:

Awe, that's too bad that people are trying be be helpful and supportive. Your lack of appreciation for their attention and polite suggestions is what annoys me. Recall for a moment, the sympathy and support you received here when you announced that you once again lost your job!
Don't be annoyed :D Be pleased :D This innocent post has resulted in lots of good vibes :ugeek:

Edisonfan
Victor V

Post by Edisonfan »

:oops:

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

Edisonfan wrote::oops:
Don't be unless this is irony ? :lol:

Edisonfan
Victor V

Post by Edisonfan »

No, I can’t delete a thread that received a response.