Butchered HMV511 on UK eBay.

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Butchered HMV511 on UK eBay.

Post by epigramophone »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hmv-gramopho ... %7Ciid%3A1

To my eye the 511 is one of HMV's most elegant designs. Had it not been for the partially amputated legs this example would have been well worth saving, even though a gilt No.4 soundbox might be hard to find and repairing the 4-spring motor not a job for the fainthearted.
Attachments
511.jpg

Phono48
Victor IV

Re: Butchered HMV511 on UK eBay.

Post by Phono48 »

Well, it sold for £150, which considering the work that needs to be done on the legs and the cost of a correct soundbox, seems to me to be a fair price.

Barry

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

It makes you wonder why anyone in their right mind would saw off the legs??? Lunacy, short mother, dwarf family members, children...??? :roll: :x
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Curt A wrote:It makes you wonder why anyone in their right mind would saw off the legs??? Lunacy, short mother, dwarf family members, children...??? :roll: :x
Rotten wood due to humidity or flooding when stored in a shed is more likely.

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

I had one like that once and the feet were indeed extremely soft. The main case had to be scrapped and rebuilt but the legs were saved with a hardening material absorbed by the timber which is now structurally sound, usefully forming and supporting a base unit for an EMG Mk Xa.
Attachments
DSC01486.JPG
DSC02215.JPG

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Post by dzavracky »

emgcr wrote:I had one like that once and the feet were indeed extremely soft. The main case had to be scrapped and rebuilt but the legs were saved with a hardening material absorbed by the timber which is now structurally sound, usefully forming and supporting a base unit for an EMG Mk Xa.

Boy talk about a dream set up :shock: :o

Cheers,

David

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

emgcr wrote:I had one like that once and the feet were indeed extremely soft. The main case had to be scrapped and rebuilt but the legs were saved with a hardening material absorbed by the timber which is now structurally sound, usefully forming and supporting a base unit for an EMG Mk Xa.
You need to examine closely the before and after photos to detect any difference ... :) Did you do it yourself?

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Two of us were involved in this work which was fun. I made the top from an old teak staircase and a friend re-made the rest. The problem with table-model EMGs is that the dimensions of the base do not conform to any "normal" furniture sizes whereas the shape of the HMV 511 (ex-Lumière) is actually spot on, especially if a new top is made with slightly wider/longer measurements. In this example we reconstructed at a lower height and turned the original horn container into a record cabinet. The EMG base effectively regains the height of the 511 (Lumière). I have done this with several similarly wrecked cabinets and also installed doors and compartments in the rear for gramophone paraphernalia.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

emgcr wrote:Two of us were involved in this work which was fun. I made the top from an old teak staircase and a friend re-made the rest. The problem with table-model EMGs is that the dimensions of the base do not conform to any "normal" furniture sizes whereas the shape of the HMV 511 (ex-Lumière) is actually spot on, especially if a new top is made with slightly wider/longer measurements. In this example we reconstructed at a lower height and turned the original horn container into a record cabinet. The EMG base effectively regains the height of the 511 (Lumière). I have done this with several similarly wrecked cabinets and also installed doors and compartments in the rear for gramophone paraphernalia.
Many thanks Graham. Those have to be about the most spectacular before-and-after photographs ever!
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

emgcr wrote:Two of us were involved in this work which was fun. I made the top from an old teak staircase and a friend re-made the rest. The problem with table-model EMGs is that the dimensions of the base do not conform to any "normal" furniture sizes whereas the shape of the HMV 511 (ex-Lumière) is actually spot on, especially if a new top is made with slightly wider/longer measurements. In this example we reconstructed at a lower height and turned the original horn container into a record cabinet. The EMG base effectively regains the height of the 511 (Lumière). I have done this with several similarly wrecked cabinets and also installed doors and compartments in the rear for gramophone paraphernalia.
Indeed very well done! The EMG has quite unique dimensions, as you mention. I fitted mine on a base that is large enough but squared, so there is some space left on the sides.