Too bad more young people are not interested

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Marc Hildebrant
Victor II
Personal Text: Vic-Trolla

Re: Too bad more young people are not interested

Post by Marc Hildebrant »

My father had a very large collection of old phonographs. Tin-foil model, early electric jukebox (me in my avatar picture), concert machines, Behringer Trademark, and many more along with over 1000 records.

When I first heard the old music at the age of 15 I thought the sound was just magic! Note sure why I liked the old music and machines but they are fun even today 56 years later.

My fathers large collection is long gone but the memories live on.

Marc

Daithi
Victor II

Post by Daithi »

Curt A wrote: What interested me in phonographs when I was 16 was the "time machine" aspect of the machines and the music
The gramophone has helped me to develop a greater appreciation for much of the music of bygone times that I might not have appreciated or even listened to before now.
Like you Curt, I also appreciate the gramophone as a kind of time machine. I can play an antique record and suddenly I am transported back in time. I live in an antique house that was built in the heyday of the gramophone surrounded by antiques that my parents wisely acquired when they were cheap. The gramophone supplies the final ingredient to take me back to an era when they were both young. It really is a time machine enveloping the listener in the sounds of another time.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

What originally fascinated me was the way in which, apart from electroplating the waxes, music could be recorded and reproduced without the need for electricity.

For me the hobby is all about playing the records on the machines for which they were designed. They create an atmosphere which no modern equipment, no matter how expensive, can match.
Some collectors will moan about record wear, but some of my older records have already lasted two lifetimes, and with good care will outlast me.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

My own opinions are divided. I love playing 78s on gramophones... All that magic, and the good sound. It's clear that ears learn (or the brain learns) to listen to any given machine. Even if it sounds awful, after a few plays you get used to it, and they start to sound good.
But from time to time I play 78s on modern equipment, and I get marveled at the incredibly good sound... Of course, much better than gramophones... But I simply can't avoid returning to the old acoustic machines. I love both worlds!
Inigo

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

Last Saturday I was playing Christmas music on the antique center owner's Victor V.I got quite a few interested people. edisonplayer.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

DELETED
Last edited by Curt A on Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Marc Hildebrant
Victor II
Personal Text: Vic-Trolla

Post by Marc Hildebrant »

If you enjoy hearing the original music and you enjoy hearing it played on period machines, what do you do if you want to hear a song that you do not have ?

Yes, you can search YouTube but wouldn't it be nice to be able to purchase some of the 1920's music for your home audio system ?

Marc

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Marc Hildebrant wrote:If you enjoy hearing the original music and you enjoy hearing it played on period machines, what do you do if you want to hear a song that you do not have ?

Yes, you can search YouTube but wouldn't it be nice to be able to purchase some of the 1920's music for your home audio system ?

Marc
My "home audio system" is comprised of wind-up phonographs. And, I do purchase 1920's music for it. But, as you say, if I don't have a copy yet: YouTube. I also use YouTube to preview records/music that I might want to bid on. Hate buying stuff that you "think" you'll like, only to find out that you don't. (Titles can be so deceptive! :roll: )

Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Post by Edisonfan »

This is the first thread i have ever posted on here go up too six pages!

Ever record that i own now, is a song that I actually enjoy! I did have some that I didn’t enjoy, and sold them. Besides YouTube, i also use the University of Southern California at Berkeley’s cylinder preservation and digitizations website.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

DELETED
Last edited by Curt A on Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife