Decca Junior portable hep needed

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Decca Junior portable hep needed

Post by dzavracky »

Hello guys,

This is my first time posting in the British/European section. A customer of mine bought this portable and had it shipped from Switzerland to the states. It was working when it left, but broken when it arrived; so he brought it to me for repairs. I had thought originally it just needed a new reproducer (I am trying to JB weld the broken on.... it’s at least worth a shot :lol: ), but when I took the motor out; a govenor spring is broken.

Where is the best place to get 3 new springs for this govenor? I don’t know much about Decca machines so any help would be great. Here are some pictures of the machine for reference. I’m honestly really surprised how small it is

Is this a junior model portable?

David
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Last edited by dzavracky on Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Decca Trench portable hep needed

Post by gramophoneshane »

Yes, this is a junior.
The sound bowl in the lid is painted (& smaller) on a junior where a true "trench" model is polished.
Another give away is the bowl is oval shaped on a Decca Junior, and the bowl is circular on the full size model.

As for the governor springs, I don't think there's a best place to get them, but the usual supplies like Ron, Wyatt or George should be able to help out. They'll need to know the size of the spring, or possibly be sent a sample.

The correct soundbox for this machine is The Crescendo Junior.

dzavracky
Victor IV

Re: Decca Trench portable hep needed

Post by dzavracky »

Thanks Shane!

I leaned a lot about the machine after taking it apart tonight. It’s a really neat portable!

I’ll call Ron and see if he can help me out with the govenor springs.

Regarding the reproducer.... if I can’t fix the one I have , will getting a new one be hard?

Cheers
David
Attachments
image.jpg
9327C844-1FDC-4E2B-ACD0-11A5AA8CDECF.jpeg
06408566-7269-4C0B-8084-D62A27FA2FBC.jpeg
B0210270-E58F-43AB-AB8E-804A1FE8A08F.jpeg
E7F5EF82-E90F-433B-A354-C804EE2797B1.jpeg
00F8DCC1-112F-49BF-9B60-C83D96FF872A.jpeg
95E2E9DB-124B-419C-B845-8F23DA0E20CD.jpeg
62CF1F99-F7A3-4E30-8769-A5EB629929A7.jpeg

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Decca Junior portable hep needed

Post by epigramophone »

Most Decca machines of this period used Paillard motors and soundboxes. Decca never made their own soundboxes, even though their name appears on some of them.

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

No suprise a governor spring broke: there are heavy weights attached to them, and if the parcel is mistreated, they're the first thing to go. I suggest you also try to write to user soundgen on this forum, as in some cases he has more spare parts than he advertises, and is very knowledgeable and helpful in any case. Ask him about the soundbox as well, you never know. The Crescendo Junior Soundbox are not "rare" in strict terms, thousands and thousands were produced, but obviously they tend to stick to the gramophone to which they belong, so find a spare one might require time and weeks of digging on ebay.

This one apparently remained unsold, it obviously lacks the screw, but if another screw came with the gramophone it may be worth dropping a pair of lines to the seller:

https://www.ebay.it/itm/THE-CRESCENDO-J ... Sw9BBf0QDB

dzavracky
Victor IV

Post by dzavracky »

Hello all,

I think it would be good to try and source a new reproducer.... but somehow I was able to fix the one it had! I don’t know how long the JB weld will hold together though :(

I’ll send him a PM and see if he can help me. I was pretty surprised at how heavy the weights were for this little machine!

Cheers

David
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

I don't think these soundbox bezels were pot metal, so you may be able to solder or weld the crack back together?
If you weld it, do it on the underside so it can be filed flat and hidden from view

Failing that, he may be happy with a non original soundbox like an exhibition or no.2.
Pretty much any standard soundbox with a bayonet fitting will fit these machines

dzavracky
Victor IV

Post by dzavracky »

Another Forum member has a Crescendo reproducer for sale. Its probably best to order a new one.

David

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Definitely the best way to go.
Don't forget to edit your wanted ads with "found" once the deals done.