Edison Bell Gem

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
FDL1990
Victor Jr

Edison Bell Gem

Post by FDL1990 »

I recently purchased an Edison Bell Gem in reasonably good condition but on closer examination it has raised a question about how the top works are secured to the case on these machines. Most examples I have seen have 4 studs in the case which the top plate fits over and is then secured with spherical nuts, the holes in the bed plate being dished to take these (photo 1). On this new machine, the holes are smaller and there are pins, tapered on one end, which seem to push into rubber bushes in the case (photo 2). These look to be original but were found loose in the bottom of the case as the rubber has perished. Has anyone else come across this version or found a way to replace the rubber bushes?
Attachments
EB GEM 1.jpg
EB GEM 2.jpg

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Edison Bell Gem

Post by Curt A »

I used something similar to these rubber "T" grommets on another machine... These may not be the exact ones, but I used some like these. You could even cut off the "post" and insert it in the holes.
https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Range-WB02T ... 8059211806
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

FDL1990
Victor Jr

Re: Edison Bell Gem

Post by FDL1990 »

Thanks for the link, I will give it a try.