100th anniversary of Caruso's last public performance

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

100th anniversary of Caruso's last public performance

Post by drh »

A friend just send me an e-mail pointing out that Caruso sang for the last time in public 100 years ago today. It was at the Met in Halevy's La Juive. In his message, my friend noted the following:

On page 308 of Enrico Caruso, My Father and My Family,
by Enrico Caruso, Jr., and Andrew Farkas, Enrico, Jr., talks about the
performance, describing how Caruso sang the aria "Rachel, quand du
Seigneur" standing instead of following his usual practice of singing
it seated, and asked Florence Easton, the evening's Rachel, to hug him
as tightly as she could for support.

Caruso recorded "Rachel, quand du Segnieur" in 1920. It's a common record; I've had several copies over the years. Anybody know if Easton recorded anything from La Juive, in particular "Il va venir"? I have a number of her records, nearly all on Brunswick, but nothing from that opera.

Anyhow, I guess today's "Christmas Eve" listening needs to include some Caruso!

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Re: 100th anniversary of Caruso's last public performance

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

A song he recorded in 1920 was "A Dream" and is a favorite of mine. Thanks for the anniversary information.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

I tend to whip out some La Boheme at Christmas. Either a complete set and/or a few 78's. It's not specifically Christmas music, but the story is set at Christmas and the music has come to seem Christmas-y to me. One favorite with Caruso is the Addio, dolce svegliare with Geraldine Farrar, Gina Viafora and Antonio Scotti.

I like Caruso's Cantique de Noel (O Holy Night) well enough but there are other renditions I like better.

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

Wolfe wrote:I tend to whip out some La Boheme at Christmas. Either a complete set and/or a few 78's. It's not specifically Christmas music, but the story is set at Christmas and the music has come to seem Christmas-y to me. One favorite with Caruso is the Addio, dolce svegliare with Geraldine Farrar, Gina Viafora and Antonio Scotti.

I like Caruso's Cantique de Noel (O Holy Night) well enough but there are other renditions I like better.
Yes I enjoy his Noel record too. He recorded several other excellent pieces in French during that year (1916) and was in great voice . Another of his Boheme records I like is “O soave fanciulla” with Farrar. I like his version with Melba too. Such differences in style and approach between the two records but both are great performances in their own ways.

Happy holidays to everyone and may 2021 be a better year for all of us.

Steven